SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Tissue Cultured Plants

echinaceamaniac
14 years ago

What do you think of tissue cultured plants? Can you be an organic gardener and grow these plants? They are grown in test tubes, treated with God knows what hormones and chemicals. Many of them grow like mutants and cause many of us grief.

Are these plants harmful in the long run? I don't know, but I've seen some strange things in my coneflower garden since I tried growing these plants. I started 2 new coneflower beds this year just so I could be certain my favorite plants aren't near any of the tissue cultured plants. I don't know what happened in those Big Sky test tubes, but it was like something out of Chernobyl.

I have been told that these plants are tested for 3 years before being released. My question is...If they really were tested for 3 years, then why are there so many problems with them? Where are the results of these tests? Can we see them and judge for ourselves?

When I buy a plant, how can I know if it was tissue cultured or not? I'm not so sure I want to grow mutants in my garden any more. Is it disclosed anywhere on the plant tag which plants are tissue cultured?

Comments (16)