SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ole_dawg

Ventilation questions for poly GH

ole_dawg
16 years ago

I am building a GH of PVC and EMT. The covering will be double wall Poly film. I am planning to use the following equipment. The GH will be 6.5 feet wide by 15 feet long and 10 feet tall to the highest point. The hoop construction is mostly PVC pipe however it is heavily reinforced with inch EMT. I will call the long running pipe that connects the hoop stringers. The top most stringer is EMT the next down is PVC, PVC again then the next two are EMT then we get into the legs/walls. I will post a photo of the top section. All the bracing is either EMT or light weight steel I salvaged from an old canopy frame. It is not as strong as the EMT, but I have only used it in places of lesser stress. In the Photo I will place either a P for PVC or an E for EMT to aid you in getting a picture of the strength. I will be quite strong when I finish. I have a tendency to over build. My neighbors call me OK Jack, the OK stands for Over Kill. LOL

The photo shows only 2/3rds. Of the GH as I am still building the last section that will have the door in it. I am using double hoop and legs there for super strength. The fittings are butted right up together using short pieces of PVC 1 and ½ inches long and glued and screwed. Most of the other connects at the joints are only screwed due to the difficulty in using glue and making accurately aliened bonds. This I know from experience of off gluing several pieces and making them worthless. It you have questions about the construction just email me thru my email address in my profile section.

One other thing, the end you will see is the back; the front will have the door. The back will be additionally reinforced to hold the fan I plan to use and also the Swamp Cooler will be mounted there.

I CAN NOT GET PHOTOBUCKET TO IMPORT THE PHOTO. It keeps giving me the message "not in format to import or something like that. I have it copied in JPG and GIF and they say the tags are wrong. SOME HELP HERE AND I will post the photo later or you can email me and I will email the photo to you. SORRY, 1eyedJack

Here are the questions. Please read the whole thing over before answering

1. Is it absolutely necessary to have roof vents?

2. Is a fan that moves 1600 cfm to powerful?

3. Would it disturb plants too much?

I may come up with more once I start getting answers.

WHAT I PLAN TO USE AND A FEW QUESTIONS ABOUT THAT.

The fan will be a gable mounted 16 inch with a special cowling and both Temp and Humidity control prewired. It will be direct wired 120 volt, and I forgot what amperage it draws.

What temp should I set it at?

I plan to mount it on the back wall as close to the top of the hoop as I can get it. I have already started reinforcing. I will obtain this fan from LoweÂs. It is their number 30425 and cost $87.00. I have seen on the net where it would run about $250.00 installed and I have also seen it offered for as much as $179.00.

The exhaust fan will have an auto shutter also obtained from LoweÂs. It is Model 31007 and cost $29.95. I plan to make changes in the basic unit by adding Rare Earth Magnets to insure a tight closure. I also plan to use weather stripping on the louvers to insure an air tight closure. It is made of treated PVC.

I plan to use a small Swamp Cooler from ACF Greenhouse. It is a model AF-320 New Air and cost $119.95 with free shipping and if you buy two the second one is $99.95.

Here the specs. It also has a remote control.

Benefits

Add ice to increase the cooling

NewAir produces the highest quality air coolers in the industry with the added advantage of Built in ionic air purifier allow this cooler to clean that air at the same time***

Over 400 TRUE CFM of evaporative air cooling reaches areas over 18 feet away

Specifications:

3 Speed Fan (Low, Medium, or High)

Timer (1, 2, 4, or 8 Hours)

Oscillating Fan Easy to use with remote control

Works Best In hot dry locations - the hotter it is the better it will work

Operates best in hot conditions below 50% humidity

Carbon Filter keeps the air smelling fresh

Dimensions: 17.9" x 14.4" x 28.7"

Net Weight: 18 lbs.

85W, 120V

Water Tank Capacity: 13 Liters

Water Consumption: 0.45 Liters per Hour

Ice Tank Capacity: 4 Liters

Ice Consumption: 0.35 Liters per Hour

Maximum Area Treated: 700 Cubic Meters per Hour

Cooling Capacity: Up to 200 Square Feet

Click here to see how an evaporative cooler / swamp cooler works.

I plan to mount it on the back wall as well. It will be mounted near the ground level and will pull in outside air into the GH

Is that the correct place to mount it?

I plan to use Automatic Foundation Vents for my air intake. They are also available from LoweÂs and are their model number 17140. They are 8 inch by 16 inch and made of treated PVC. They open at 70 and close at 40. The automatic feature is accomplished with a bi-metal coil spring that I imagine could be dittled with to change the settings.

They are $12.99 each and I plan to use at least 4.

Is that enough intake for the fan?

ADDITONAL QUESTIONS;

Will I need another smaller fan for air circulation?

That is about it now. I am sure I will have more questions as thing go along. Thank you all in advance for your advice and comments.

Sultry 1eyedJack and the Salty Dawg

Comments (7)