SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danceme

Indoor garden room

danceme
10 years ago

We are finishing our basement. We have an 11x15 foot room that has 6 sides (each side has a large window) that sticks out away from the rest of the house (on the main floor it is the dining area). It is on the north side and doesn't get tons of direct sunlight. While it was all unfinished I was using it as my greenhouse. I set up grow lights for seedlings and things. I'd like to turn it into a garden room, but don't have a clue as to the complications that could involve.

I'm from the humid South where mold and mildew are always a concern, but I live in the super dry West now, and people just don't worry about that. I had planned to put in an exhaust fan like you would have in a bathroom just in case.

I wanted to build shelves around the walls for seed starting, and have a sink and potting bench. Maybe a brick floor or stamped concrete. I want to grow a couple of dwarf citrus trees in pots on the patio and bring them in for the winter.

We had originally planned to wall this room off with a glass wall (so as not to block all the natural light coming into the rest of the basement), but I'm wondering if that wall is necessary at all.

And to be honest I thought I had a few years to figure out what I really want, but now my husband wants to push ahead and do that part of the basement all the way to paint and carpet, but not the details just yet (no built-ins or fireplace, etc. That will come later). So I need to know what I intend to do there in the future so I can get things right with the electrical, lighting, etc.

We live in zone 6b and I love the idea of having a tomato plant I can pick off of in the cold months, a nice place to start my seeds, etc. We've always wanted a green house, but a heated greenhouse is very expensive, and this way we can take advantage of the indoor heating we are already paying for. Plus we have plenty of room in the house for the other things we want, so why not? I want it to be attractive because that will make me happy and because it will be in full view of the rest of the basement.

Has anyone done anything like this in their house? Am I oversimplifying this? I tend to do that :) What am I forgetting or not thinking of? I would love any thoughts or opinions on this. I've looked online and haven't found much.

Comments (2)