SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arturoh_gw

Making a Mini Greenhouse

arturoh
15 years ago

I live in Austin Texas and this is my second planting year I have had a lot of successes and several failures with vegetable gardening. I have found out that heat is a problem with many vegetables. This year I am trying tomatoes, which I planted from seed, since I've heard other people have had good experiences with tomatoes.

Unbeknownst to me but knownst to other more experienced gardeners even tomatoes can be susceptible to heat. Thankfully I tried two species and one seems to be much more heat tolerant.

Anyway, I am tired of heat problems and I am ready to try a mini greenhouse and I mean mini, maybe 6 to 8 square feet and 2 to 3 feet tall. Because heat seems to be my problem for the kind of plants I want, I found that good covering and evaporative cooling can really work.

I have calculated that for 50 cubic feet even a computer fans would work, Although I may need something sturdier, and for a cooling pad I only need around half square foot.

I know that most people have Polyethilene film on their greenhouses, But I'm not sure if that is all they have. I'm thinking I could tape the film into a box shape supported by a frame and tape zippers to access the inside. But I need to know how flexible the film is, does it fold like paper or like cloth? Would I need something besides the film for the sun or maybe hail?

The last question I would have is if it would be a good idea to buy a device that would record temperature and humidity as I put this together to make sure I'm actually getting what I want.

If all goes well I'll be able to use this experience in a future bigger greenhouse. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)