SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisylover_gw

Difference between Greenhouse & Coldframe?

DaisyLover
18 years ago

After looking at tons of commercial greenhouse sites and catalogs I am more confused than ever. I assumed a Coldframe meant a structure with smaller tubing and no heat or mechanical ventilation...one that is not meant to be covered in the winter. Then I see coldframes with snow-load ratings and all the mechanical equipment you could want. So... what is the difference?

Because of our climate I am just looking for the right structure to start-up in March or early April, to grow-on plugs of annuals to make up pots/baskets/boxes, perennial plugs and shrub liners (to later move out onto ground cloth once they have gotten a good start.) The structure would have minimal heat just to allow start-up earlier (possibly just hot-water bench heat?). And I like the idea of as much non-mechanical ventilation as feasible (roll-up sidewalls, etc.) Energy efficiency is what I am going for due to our high cost of electricity. Then at the end of the season, would want to put perennials/shrubs back in the greenhouse and cover the structure and/or plants with whatever material is needed to winter them over in temps that can get down to -40F.

So... what do I want? Greenhouse or Coldframe? I like the gothic arch greenhouses and coldframes in the FarmTek catalog (Clearspan, I think). I do know that the gothic arch is the best for this climate as it doesn't hold as much snow as the hoop shape.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)