SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gdj204

slowing speed of tractor

gdj204
16 years ago

This might be a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there is a way of slowing the speed of my tractor (swapping out a drive pulley, etc.). It is a Craftsman DY4500 (24hp Intek, 42" mower), K46 TT.

My yard is pretty rough, so if I push the "go" pedal even one-quarter of the way, I get a pretty rough ride and hood of tractor shaking, etc. I run at full-throttle to keep mower blade speed up, but have to really feather the pedal to keep a nice slow speed for mowing. Is this hard on the hydro tranny?

In retrospect, I maybe should've gotten less HP, but I've got some pretty good hills on the property (about 1/2-acre) and felt the HP would be good for scaling those. I've had to swap out the turf treads for lug tires filled w/ washer fluid, otherwise tires would spin everytime I took a slight turn on a hillside. I'm afraid I'll wear out the tranny a lot quicker with the heavy ag tires, but I need the traction. Anyway, I'd really like to know if there is a good way of reducing tractor speed without reducing mower blade speed.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions