SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riley1739

My soil test results (or lack thereof?)

riley17
15 years ago

I bought a soil test kit from the home depot, just for fun because I'd never tested my gardens soil before. I dont know much about it and so I followed the directions to the letter. My results all came out weird though. The PH test tube was the only one that came out right, I got a reading of neutral. The other tubes though, for nitrogen, phosphorous, and potash all came out clear. The stuff that was supposed to do the color coding for me was floating at the top and the water was clear. Did I do something wrong? Or does my soil really just have extremely small amounts of nutrients? My soil that I tested was mostly clay, and I made sure all the tubes were thoroughly shook and mixed up, but no color ever formed. No matter how long I waited. On the chart that came with my kit, even the lowest amounts are supposed to have SOME color, so it just made me wonder if maybe I did something wrong? I followed the directions and they said to mix the soil and water, then let it settle for ten minutes and put the powders in. You should avoid getting any sediment off the bottom of the soil/water mixture. My mix though after ten minutes hadnt completely settled out, and now, four days later, the jar still looks murky. Could the murkiness have put off my results? I did get some sediment in the bottom of the test tubes as well as the color floating on top, so I wondered if maybe the sediment I wasnt supposed to get in there, but was impossible not to because it was floating in the water, was the problem? Any help understanding this would be appreciated,

Holly

Comments (8)