SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wheelhorse_of_course

6 HP Mid 70's Tecumseh on Tiller (OT)

Hey Guys,

I know this is technically off topic, but I want your opinions...

I ran an ad in the local freecycle looking for unwanted garden tractor implements, and a lady gave me a Troy Bilt tiller. It was her father's and based on the dates in the literature that came with it, it is from the mid 70's. When Dad got a new one with electric start, he trailered it to her, and there it has sat, under a tarp, for years.

I got it home and was thrilled to see/smell that the gas tank has nothing in it and is odor free! I think maybe Dad knew enough to run her dry. Then I very gingerly pulled on the starter cord and stopped after about 2 inches when mouse debris started raining down.

I took the blower cover off and it was packed full of mouse stuff. I have picked and blown most of that off. The high tension lead appears unchewed and the flywheel turns easily by hand. I can feel some compression, but not as much as I would expect.

THere is oil in the machine that looks used but is not gooey. I will, of course, replace the oil, and clean the air filter before I try to start it.

There is no designation plate on the blower housing. Based on the info from Troy Bilt it is a 6 HP since the 7 HPs from that time where Kohlers.

Here are my questions at this time:

1) From Y'all on this board, I have heard of the rusty magnet syndrome. This is kind of mysterious to me, but I respect you guys enough to believe it. I do not have access to the proper flywheel tool and puller so I would prefer not to take the flywheel off if I don't have to. Given the mouse debris was dry (confirming it was kept under the tarp as the previous owner said) and given the coil wire is intact, I am thinking about testing for spark and not removing the flywheel.

If I DO get a spark, what do you guys think about deferring from pulling the flywheel until/when I need to for other reasons?

2) This rust syndrome - can't it cause a weak spark, or just no spark?

3) Any guess on the model number for a 6 HP mid 70's horizontal shaft Tecy? Would such an engine have a compression release?

4) I assume that despite the end of Tucumseh that the vast majority of "normal use" parts (carb kit, air filter, points and condenser, etc) are available from Rotary or Stens. Is this true.

5) Given the rest of the tiller is in good shape, and I got it for free, repowering will be an option if this engine needs more than a little work. It is tempting to buy one of those harbor freight What would be the most economical new engine?

What is a common used engine I should consider (frankly I am partial to Briggs over Tecumseh).

OK, fire away boys!! :)

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions