SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sailgranny

Best no spray climbers

10 years ago

I live on eastern Long Island in perfect rose growing land.I used to have 364 rose bushes; I showed them and won many prizes; I even had Hallmark Cards come and take pictures for their rose calendar( I had 4 months from my garden!). So I know how to grow roses.

But I started a new company and had no time for the roses. I also grew tired of weekly spraying. And deer. So I ripped them all out.

Now I have a new 4' fence around our pool. I am planting shrubs for winter color as well as perennials that the deer don't like on one side. But on the inside I want to plant a few roses( yes I know the deer can jump 4 ". But my pool is inside another fence around the property. Should be fairly
safe)

I used to know all the best roses but it has been about 15 years now. I want 2 shrub and 2 climbers. I do not want to spray at all. Not one bit. I have read the Knockout roses will be good for the shrub category. But what about a few good climbers that do not require any spraying? I used to have Dortmund and New Dawn. These really are too big. Are there Knock Out climbers?

My wish would be to have at least one climbing rose that has a heavenly scent( but really the non spraying is the main issue)

As the fence is in a main area around pool and I can see right from my kitchen window, I also really want repeat bloom. I am not talking about a bloom in just June and the fall.

Suggestions that are up to date?

Comments (8)