SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totallyconfused2

What to Plant with Baptisia and Ornamental Grass

totallyconfused
14 years ago

Hi everyone. For the last two weeks I have been driving from nursery to nursery trying to come up with a solution for this area. I sure hope someone here can help me.

I have a raised planting area that is about 13' long. At each end I have a Baptisia and in the middle an ornamental grass(not a huge one, it topped out at about 3 or 3 1/2 ft last year ,but it did get quite wide). I know these are all large plants, but they are not quite large enough to fill the area, so I am looking for suggestions for something to plant between the Baptisia and the grass that gets about 2 1/2-3 feet tall, but stays fairly narrow. The area gets a good bit of sun, although it is shaded by the porch in the late afternoon. As far as color goes, I have eliminated pink because I have pink yarrow (Pretty Belinda) planted in front of the space in question. I'm also trying to stay away from yellow as I just planted 3 Hello Yellow Asclepias in the ground level bed in front of the raised bed and I'm afraid that will be too much yellow. The other plants in this area are mostly purples, blues and pinks, so reds or oranges are probably not a good choice either. I would prefer something that will provide long lasting color and definitely want something that blooms after the Baptisia. Any suggestions?

Sorry this is so long. I figured the more info I provided the better.

Totally Confused

Comments (4)