SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raptorman03

What kinda of riding mower should i get

RaptorMan03
19 years ago

I have up to 3gs to spend and i have about 3/4s of an acer, that is flat. I cant decide what i should get.

Comments (39)

• cadurning
    19 years ago

Get the Cub 2180 and you'll never look back. Every saturday morning the neighbours will come out and admire your purchase as you strut around the lawn. If you get one of those "other" brands you'll have to get a desgiuse because it's too embarassing to admit that you bought one.

• modre
    19 years ago

as you can see, mssr. cadurning's replaying that same broken record in a dimly illuminated mirror

When the sun goes down and the tide rolls out
    and the people gather 'round and they all begin to shout
    "Hey! Hey! Uncle Dud
    it's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud
    it's a treat to beat your feet on the Mississippi Mud"

What a dance do they do
    glory how I'm tellin' you
    they don't need no band
    they keep time by clappin' their hands
    just happy as a cow chewin' on a cud

on the upside, he's ambidextrious...so he has THAT going for him.

...which is pretty nice...

• Related Discussions

MTD Riding mower belt gets hot

Q

Comments (4)
    My guess is that one or more of the pulleys on the mower deck is not moving. The smoke is from the belt rubbing on a pulley that is not moving or rubbing on some other object that is now in the belt's path. since the belt pops off, leave it off, turn off the engine to prevent accidents, then spin each of the pulleys on the mower deck by hand. They should all spin freely. Make sure that the deck is not clogged with grass or other debris. The springs that are hanging off are a problem as well. The belt must be routed properly and tensioned with the springs or it will fail quickly! Find a diagram or go see one at the store to see how the belt is routed and where those springs go.
    ...See More

I need the leght of a bolt on riding lawn mower...bolt is AYP

Q

Comments (1)
    That cap screw is common on many AYP/Electrolux/Craftsman lawn tractors with manual transmission. I believe it is 1/4-28 x 1/2 long. I'm not sure why it needs to be a Grade 8. You should be able to get commercial hardware (Grade 5 or better) and use as a substitute. You can also use Loctite on the threads if you can't find with Nyloc patch. Suggest you get commercial hardware (1/2" and 3/4") just to cover your bases and secure with Loctite. In meantime order the correct part and you should be able to easily replace at a later date. Factory part number 74550412 is broadly available on Web for about $3.00.
    ...See More

New riding mowers getting soaked when it rains

Q

Comments (1)
    Have you ever driven by a place that sells farm equipment or construction equipment. They are outside all the time. Me personally, I wouldn't let my mower, snowblower, or string trimmer outside. I store them in the pole barn but a dealership doesn't have that luxury of storing equipment under cover.
    ...See More

Murray riding mower will not start unless I jump start it

Q

Comments (4)
    The basics would say to clean the battery cables on both ends and have the battery load tested- new or not. The solenoid needs a good ground as well. Your voltage readings at the solenoid- I assume the battery terminal? The trigger wire should have none until cranked.
    ...See More
  • Honest_John
    19 years ago

JD all the way baby!!!

{{gwi:312643}}

• runny214
    19 years ago

Simplicity is the only way.

• cadurning
    19 years ago

Modre,

You're quite a poet.

What would you recommend?

• MBDiagMan
    19 years ago

It looks like there's no brand opinion here!

In asking this question, I'm afraid that you are getting opinion instead of scientific research. The good news is that all the brands touted are good ones.

I would suggest that you do your own research and do it well. Your decision should not stop with brand alone. Most brands provide their low end, built in China or some such model and their high end, built to go forever model.

Research such things as construction methods, ease of deck removal, blade spindle construction, grease fitting placement, cut quality and finding a dealer with integrity and customer commitment.

Good luck and enjoy the pursuit of knowledge,
    Doc

• MurrayGrowingMoss
    19 years ago

You need to ask yourself, (1)is mowing with some light lawn attachment use all I need to do are there a lot of obstacles to mow around where a tight turning radius is in order, (2)or will the machine need to be used for other tasks like snow removal or working heaver lawn care tools pulling large carts, (3)or will the machine need to do all the above and heavy pulling and/or some ground work like a plowing or use other attachment that engages the ground like dump buckets or graders blades?

If you answer the first part and no to the rest a Rear engine Rider or Lawn tractor will do.

If you answer yes to the first two parts then maybe a Yard tractor would best work for you.

If you answer yes to all three parts you will need a Garden Tractor.

Brand is not a factor here in your price range for they are all about the same in their respective classes RER, LT, YT, GT. itÂs just a matter of preference. Study them all weigh you needs and there abilities against you funds and pick the one you feel good about.

The problem is there are so many in you price range and with out any other info as to needs/wants your left with a daunting task as we have all been there.

Good luck in your quest and really look at them all, go to a John Deere dealer, Home depot, a Cub Cadet dealer, Lowes, Sears, tractor supply, and sit on them all in you price range that will do what you want to do, test drive (only at a Deere dealer or cub dealer) if you can, look hard at how they will warranty service the machine in your area, and in the end the one that makes you smile the most should be the winner.

Good luck

Bob

• anav8r
    19 years ago

Whew! Thanks Bob! For a minute, I didn't think anybody was going to point out that he needed to try out the "ergonomics" of the tractors he's considering (after narrowing it down according to need).

Raptorman: Be advised that even though you think you may just need a lawnmower now, the grounds keeping/gardening bug can bite at any time! :Whichever you choose, enjoy it...
    Me? I prefer Gilson Brothers but they don't make new ones anymore.

• JoshuaTree
    19 years ago

Raptor Man:
    Now that you're confused, why don't you post what your requirements are. That will make it easier to decide.
    MBDiagMan, MGM, anav8r all make good points. If you need to kill fire ants then listen to Cadurning. LOL

JT

• DynaMark
    19 years ago

These days there is almost no point to buying a rider. Lawn and Garden tractors are produced in such numbers that their price is the same or lower than a comparably priced rear engine rider plus you can do so much more with a tractor. I considered both for about a half acre and went with a tractor.

• cadurning
    19 years ago

JT,

Don't forget Cub's weed abatement options.

• modre
    19 years ago

>Modre, You're quite a poet. What would you recommend?I can't endorse one brand over another...that's such an emotional issue and there are so many diverse priorities depending on personal perspective... buy the machine that pushes your buttons and enjoy the experience.
    vs.
    >Every saturday morning the neighbours will come out and admire your purchase as you strut around the lawn. If you get one of those "other" brands you'll have to get a disguise because it's too embarassing to admit that you bought one.my only "recommendation" is buy the machine that scratches your specific itch...in my case, it would be a BX23...I can squeeze juice from any lemon until then, so it really doesn't matter to me what color it starts out as...it's gonna end up mud brown and oily in my hands anyway...audience or not.

• Jimmy_Bell
    19 years ago

Ya gotta start somewhere, get the cheapest Murray you can find. THEN, when it gives up the ghost in (fill in the blank) years. You'll know and appreciate other brands. Or you might just buy another Murray!

• cadurning
    19 years ago

For 3g's one could buy a whole garage full of Murrays. As they crapout just save the deralicts for parts.

• RJFMBACPA
    19 years ago

I did not see anyone advise looking at a Zero Turn. I have owned a zero turn and a GT. I cut over an hour off my mow time. I will never own a GT again. I am sure you can get a nice ZT for $3k and then you will have time to do stuff that matters, not yardwork.

• chadtoolio
    19 years ago

RJFMBACPA,

I happen to like working in my yard! I believe that the question was asked above as to do you have alot of obsticles to go round.

I agree with the rest that say you need to know what you are going to do with the particular piece of equipment.

Chad

• vrocco1
    19 years ago

This would be another good place for fbeard to post that deck hanger photo.

• RaptorMan03
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Im just going to cut grass with it, and pull a pluger.

• johndeere
    19 years ago

Then you better get a Cub Cadet 2180 if your going to pull a plug areator.Because I here they are a real load and pull hard.The heavy duty transaxel and shaft drive will do fine on the areator.The only other tractor in the $3000.00 range that I would want on a plug areator would be a GT Craftsman and the build of the Craftsman when it comes to the steering components and other things are not up to the 2180 quality.

• RaptorMan03
    Original Author
    19 years ago

what if i dident pull any thing would the 018 work for me?

• speasb
    19 years ago

Raptorman - how much do you enjoy cutting the grass? Do you take pride in a nice looking yard? Do you want a lawn stripes? Do you have a lot of obstactles in the yard? If so, a zero turn will save you time, but then you're limited to the number of uses for the tractor. If you have few obstacles, and just want a clean cut, get into a craftsman or husqvarna lawn tractor and also buy some attachments - bagger, cart, lawn sweeper, etc. But if you enjoy spending time outside creating a beautiful lawn, look into the simplicity's. They create a nice striped lawn. But you can also buy striping kits that will fit almost any tractor, just search on the web. If I was spending 3 grand, I'd look at the following tractors -

Deere 100 series
    Cub 1500 series
    Simplicty Regent

Just make sure you go to a dealer. You can get the deere 100 series at Home depot, but if you go to a dealer, they can give you a better price, or even get you into a LT or LX series for 3 grand.

You'll get a lot of opinions on this site, telling you to only consider one brand. Just test them out yourself and go with the one you like best. Then follow the maintenance schedule and you'll end up with a tractor that lasts you a long time.

• Wild_Bill_83
    19 years ago

Buy a good used International Harvester built Cub Cadet!! They are plentiful, easy to work on, easy to find used parts for, easy to find new parts for (at any Cub Cadet or Case-IH dealer) and the best part....you can get the tractor..either with a standard or hydro transmission...and various sizes of mower decks, for EASILY under $1000.00, and put the rest of the money back in the bank!

A Cub Cadet 'Original' with it's 38" deck will mow your 3/4 acre in under 1hr. This past summer my son was using an Original to mow 3 acres in under 3 hours, all on less than 1 tank of gas. It will also pull a 42" plug areator (with 160lbs of weight on it) in 2nd gear at 3/4 throttle with no problem...all with 7hp!! The most expensive 'Original' I have cost me $275.00.

Or for something a little more 'modern', check out a tractor in the 'Quietline' series...1000, 1200 (both gear drive models)1250, 1450, or 1650 (hydro drive). My 1250 runs a 50" mower deck with no problem, uphill while pulling the areator or a 400lb lawn roller...all with 12hp. I use my 1450 for my heavier duty jobs. With hydro lift it makes running a 42" snowblower, 54" front blade, and a 40" wide tiller, effortless, and it pulls different '3 point' attachments easily...12" garden plow, box blade, etc.

Unless of course you have your heart set on having a 'new' piece of equipment.

• RaptorMan03
    Original Author
    19 years ago

well i have kinda narrowed it down to a club lt018 or a deer L10, I have sat on both and i think the club is more confy sp? what do you think about theese too. yes i have the greenest yard on the block and my friends say im a yard nazi lol so yes i do take pride in my yard

• copper_john
    19 years ago

I am new to this forus also. And I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, but with a smaller budget in mind. You will receive a great deal of good advice here and the one thing that I will point out that is recommended by a post above is to sit on it (the machine, I mean). I did all of the research; asked the questions; checked consumer reports and popular mechanics; scanned the web for reviews and ratings. And when I had narrowed it down, I got some great advice here and then added some models that I had never heard of, and removed some from my list that I thought might be good. When I went to sit on one rather highly rated tractor, I hated it. The seat was the most uncomfortable thing that I had ever been on. A slab of wood might have been more comfortable. I won't say what brand it was, but go try them out like it has been suggested. Look at the location of the controls and levers (as they suggest). Figure out what you will use it for (only mowing, etc.)as they have also suggested. And, one other thing that really helped me was the dealer. I checked with the super stores and they have no ability to make repairs etc. A dealer will sell and service the product. That helps too.

Beyond that, I know practically nothing. So listed to theses other guys and look around. Don't go with what you may first find and the local Mega-Lo Mart.

• RaptorMan03
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yea im thinking i need to make a trip to the club dealer and take her for a spin

• briggsstrattonman
    19 years ago

all i have to say is cub cadet. 20hp with the big 50 inch cut. get it done in no time. had a briggs 18horse twin apposed rider with the shift on the go. drop her in the highest gear and with the 48 inch deck i would be done in 50 mins. big yard too.

• rcmoser
    19 years ago

If I had 3K I'd borrow three more and get a "Steiner" late used model of course. Then, as your habits grow you mower would attach to them. 3/4 of a acre I'd look at DLT4000 18.5 hp on sale for $1295, throw the wife a couple of hundred and get a pool table or hot tub with the left overs and everybody Happy!!!. My wippy little 15 year old Lt4000 pulls anything that don't spin the tire and it an't dead yet. L120 are nice also

• johndeere
    19 years ago

I would stick with the $3000.00 budget and you can get a Cub Cadet 2180 for $2600.00.When you get to the Cub dealer compare the 1018 to the 2180.If you have trouble seeing the differance have the dealer show you what sets them apart.As soon as you open the hood and see the differance in steering components and the lack of on the 1000 series look how the steering shaft has support on the 2180 and not on the 1018 and the differance in the transaxel and then look at how the mower deck raises.Lift the deck on the 2180 and see how effortless it is compared to the no assist spring cable lift found on the 1000 series.Take a look at the lift arms and how they operate on the 2180 then look at the cables that lift the 1000 series.Both would be fine for 3/4 acre but when you want to pull something and after you have it you will want to.I feel you would be better off with the 2180.The only draw back would be turning radius and that is not that big of a deal to not buy into quality when you can afford it.

• Jolly__Roger
    19 years ago

I would consider the Husqvarna GTH2254XP Tractor, 22 HP Kawasaki Engine, 54" Deck....$3,000.00 at KimCoUSA. Also check out the smaller Husqs with Kawasaki engines there if you can use a smaller deck and tractor.

{{gwi:312644}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Husqvarna at KimCoUSA

• RaptorMan03
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That is nice but i do not wanna mow with 3 blades, I hear too much about bad cuts!!!

• Jolly__Roger
    19 years ago

I have the Sears DLT 3000 with a 42" deck and it is perfect for .75 acres.

Back to your scenario, I am partial to the Kawasaki engines (or Hondas) and to the better tractors, but it is hard to do both for under 3K.

Perhaps the Husq with the 15 hp Kawa for $1999, a set of Gator Blades for $20, the Rubbermaid ATV Trail traker cart $250, a 1 7/8" tow ball $10, a tow behind aerator/plugger $150 and a tow behind commercial grade spreader $120....would be one way to make you happy under the 3K...
    And you may need a new weed wacker or something else as well...

• johndeere
    19 years ago

RE: What kinda of riding mower should i get
    Posted by: RaptorMan03 (My Page) on Mon, Dec 13, 04 at 1:55

That is nice but i do not wanna mow with 3 blades, I hear too much about bad cuts!!!

Raptor Do not believe every thing you hear.I have heard the same story about 3 blade systems.But atleast in my case it is false.I prefere a 3 blade system.I have owned several of both types and the 3 blade decks win.I have an LX277 with a 48C 3 blade and a 2 blade Cub Cudet 2166.The Deere does a better job of cutting.I also had a 2 blade John Deere LX178 38'' deck 2 blade that did not cut as well.I have had others through out the years and the 3 blade systems all out performed the 2 blade systems.

Another example was my brother had a Sears Craftsman LT1000 2 blade.He griped about how poor it cut.He sold it and bought a JD L-120 that is a 3 blade 48'' and he is now happy with the cut quality.

I would not rule out either 2 or 3 blade systems but.I feel a 3 blade system offers the best cut.The only bad thing about 3 blades is it seems they need scraped and cleaned sooner then a 2 blade.The grass clippings build up faster.

• RaptorMan03
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have a gate in my back yard and i cant get a 3 blade deck in there i run a 42 incher in there just fine. can you buy the high back seat like on the lt60 and put it on a L110?

• jon_the_mower_kid
    19 years ago

"For 3g's one could buy a whole garage full of Murrays. As they crapout just save the deralicts for parts."

ok and why are we bashing murrays when i have 6 of them with briggs enignes that arent falling apart or crapping out??
    and btw, the murray rer's are good if you are looking for something smaller thats can take a little pulling/towing too

plus the single blade decks cut good, they mulch and bag better than the twin or triple blade decks

• carsnthrds
    19 years ago

For flat 3/4 acre consider Snapper rear engine riders. All everyone talks about is what they see at a big box or JD dealer. Look at Toro, Ariens, and Simplicity/Snapper as well - they have some excellent products every bit equal or better than others mentioned. Ed.

• JDKubotaMurray
    19 years ago

Hey, I bought the last $600 Brand New Murray last Nov. from Wally World. 12.5 B&S, 38", Steel Hood, classic red color with greasable spindles. I had 5 sets of new Vipers (Gator lookalike) for it I had got for $4/set at a discount place so I had to buy the Mower. Makes a nice trimming machine, gets in tight & rough places with the suspended deck.

• jon_the_mower_kid
    19 years ago

they arent peices of crap like alto of people say they are
    the same as some poeple's opinions on craftsman

• GoodOleBoy
    19 years ago

Get what you can afford. We can offer some advice and confuse you but if I went with what this board told me I would be out $3500 on a machine as capable as my $1500 tractor.
    But if you have some money that a different story.

Sponsored
More Discussions