SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmie9999

Lasagna bed second year: now what?

emmie9999
16 years ago

Hi everyone:

I layered newspaper, kitchen scraps. coffee grounds, shredded leaves, grass clippings, and composted manure last year in my veggie garden. Everything grew beautifully, and I was very happy!

However, as the summer went on, and projects in the house took over my time, body and brain, I did get quite a bit of weeds. A few zukes and brussels got left to rot in place. Then, early cold weather and a few bad colds kept me from getting in there before snow covered it all. I want to plant again this year, and I have a lot of cleanup to do.

I'm wondering...what should I do now? The lasagna book doesn't say if I should start with newspaper again, or just build on top of what is already there. Does anyone have any advice for me?

For details: it's a 5 foot wide by 15 or 20 foot long bed, and it isn't technically raised. We keep planning to put up wooden barriers around it, but have not yet had the time or funds. (Maybe this year!) There is a concrete pad along one short and long end, and after layering last year, it was about 6 inches elevated from that surface. I don't know how much it sank down over the winter yet.

Thanks for any help,

Emmie

Comments (2)