SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyl7b

Wax myrtle advice needed

karyl7b
15 years ago

I picked up two wax myrtles specifically for berries for birds. I've grown this before but completely neglected it, I never cared for it much and it was in a very unused portion of the property, grew very tall and leggy.

I am looking at the ones I purchased today and wondering what the heck I was thinking not liking this plant. My intent was to put it in a back-ish location in my new yard and now I am changing my mind and wanting to place it where I planned taller privacy fence. I have questions, please...

How much shade can they take and stay full? The new privacy fence location is filtered sun, wooded but not full shade. The original back-ish location is sunny.

How do I prune them to keep them full? I have a 15' variety and can not see how I'd clip the tops of these guys at height. I found info on when to prune but not really how much to prune. They appear to prefer hard pruning (?), but what does this do to the berry production?

If it can't do the privacy and shade, it's the wrong plant for the spot. This is firstly a bird plant and there is a plan which will work for that job but if it can fill the privacy at the same time, I'd like to use it if I can. I've been searching and the photos I see are beautiful, dense shrubs but they are all in full sun as specimen plants or clipped to the dickens hedges.

dang, this is long! I don't even talk this much.

Comments (5)