SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gatineauhills

Are straw bale composters a good idea?

gatineauhills
14 years ago

Hi All - I have been lurking and reading for a while now and have learned a lot - thanks everyone for all the accumulated wisdom shared here! I'm hoping for some suggestions about how to quickly establish composting in a big way, as we tackle our garden.

We're on the remnant of an farm on two sunny acres, one of which has lawn and flower beds. The other will be turned into a wildflower meadow next year. Also planning veggie beds, both raised and fenced in Ruth Stout style low labour beds (this year).

So lots of room/need for compost. I have one donated Enviro-cycle bin, which seems to keep animals out, but is, as others have noted, very hard to turn... I can't see buying a whole row of any kind of individual containers... they're designed for a suburban back yard and I need more compost anyway.

I'm wondering about doing straw bale progressive bins with plastic or old MDF boards for some rain protection on top. I haven't seen much about straw bale bins here.

The biggest concerns I can think of are critters and the risk of quack grass seeding the bales. But I like the idea of an organic container that becomes part of the compost as it breaks down... and the appearance appeals to me.

Also, do critters like UCGs? I've been getting 5 gallons a couple of times a week from my local Starbucks. If I use lots of non-food waste as my greens, putting the food scraps in the middle, would that likely take care of the critter concern?

Sorry if this is too many questions at once. I am becoming obsessed. My husband now cringes when I say, guess what? any time I'm on the computer... he knows it's going to be a stunning revelation about toilet paper rolls or urine.

Any thoughts very appreciated.

Gatineauhills

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths