SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berrytea4me

Planting ??? for z5

berrytea4me
16 years ago

It's planting time!! Yeah!!

My order came yesterday from Vintage Gardens. I have a few planting questions as I've grown only a few roses since moving here, most of my experience is in the mild PNW zones.

How deep should I plant own root roses in z5? Do you put them deeper when planting new ones so they will be more protected until they settle into their own "best depth" for the zone? I know we plant grafted roses deeper, with the graft about 2" below ground level.

I'm sure our hard winters will affect mature size. I want to plant with this in mind. Can anyone in z5 tell me what mature size (both width & height) for each of these roses:

Cécile Brunner

Constance Spry

Duchess of Portland

Ferdinand Pichard

Graham Thomas

Illusion (cl)

Mme Hardy

Raubritter

William Shakespear

Also, these are in bands, not bare root. Our last frost date is not until May 15 and we are still getting down into the 30s on a regular basis. How would you suggest I protect them in the next few weeks?

I have two older roses from cuttings (Mary Lovett and Dorothy Perkins) that I planted here about 12 yrs ago and I don't bother with mulch or anything in the winters. Obviously they are mature and settled in. They were also much larger plants when I first put them in. Should I plan on giving these little band roses winter protection for the first year or two?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!

Comments (2)