SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janegael

Newbie Climber Questions

16 years ago

I'm getting googled to death looking up roses and info and am now completely confused. I'm a newbie to roses because I have moved so often that I would barely get a garden started before I had to leave it. It was my therapy and I'm proud that I've left a string of rose gardens behind me, but having had to leave them I didn't learn very much from them -- and I never planted climbers. The ones I planted here in CT have not done well and I'm starting over.

I'm not sure how far apart to plant climbers so that I get good coverage but don't crowd.

I plan to plant 2 vigorous growers and two that are more mannerly.

I have a 6' wooden privacy fence that I want to train them to grow against but have no idea how to do this. I'm also not sure if I should make them grow up the fence or let the canes spill forward to create a fuller effect. My garden such as it is could be considered fend for yourself, so being all orderly is not a factor.

I'm also not to sure how much space to factor in for in front of the rose so that it won't crowd anything else I plant.

This is ideally what I'd like my Dream Weaver (one of the vigorous ones) to look like.

{{gwi:249774}}

Comments (6)