SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fife78

Blue Princess Holly

fife78
11 years ago

I am looking for information about Blue Princess Holly as a foundation plant. My house is a traditional Cape Cod style (central door with two windows either side), but has a Gambrel style roof. The floor elevation is about 3 feet above finished grade which means there is about 30 inches or so of exposed concrete below the siding. The bottom of the windows is roughly 6 feet above finished grade. My goal is to provide a nice evergreen foundation planting of three Blue Princess Hollies on each side of the door (I will locate a Blue Prince somewhere else in the yard). I have connections at local nurseries so I hope to obtain larger size plants (about 4 feet in height). I do not want the Hollies to block the windows so I will clip them as necessary.

Now for the first of my two questions: I like the somewhat open form of the BP Holly and do not want to have a hedge. Will they stay somewhat open or will they start to fill in and look like a hedge as I keep them clipped to 6 feet in height?

Second question: how do they handle snow load? Because of the steep slope of the Gambrel, large amounts of snow come crashing down to the ground and take out lots of the shrubbery that is currently planted. I know I can avoid this by moving the shrubs away from the house, but that distance would need to be about 4 feet. I fear it would begin to look very unusual with such a large gap between the house and plants. So I'm wondering how durable these Hollies are.

Comments (4)