SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eureka_gw

Tilling question + nifty idea

eureka
15 years ago

Hi All:

I have managed to destroy my low back over the last 5 - 6 yrs. attempting to improve my clay/caliche soil with various amendments. I know I use improper digging and turning techniques. I favor using a garden fork to shovel but I have always bent at the waist and held the tool/s away from my body. For weeding I also tend to bend over at the waist instead of going down on my knees, now very sore and difficult as they have been destroyed by arthritis from injuries in an auto accident 20 yrs ago. OK so we understand that now it's nearly impossible for me to turn soil. And I have 4 areas of 14'x 16' & one 72'x12' area to work, yep those are feet. I have an oppurtunity to buy a Sears 10" gas powered tiller that it seems would make adding to and loosening up the soil much easier but I know tilling is very controversial, I don't know if this size tiller will just jerk me around and not dig in easily so I'm asking the experts, give me your opinions. I know that I must work on both the low back and knees and have been given the exercises, also bought basic equipment to begin strengthening.

My one nifty idea that I tried back at Christmas was to take vegetable trimmings, used paper towels, coffee grounds, cardboard rolls, all the stuff you'd put in a compost pile. I dug trenches in one large bed, spreading the material and covering it all. I had read this in Jerry What'sHisFace KnowItAll book; I was out yesterday doing some minor hoeing and was delighted to find that everything had broken down into nice black earth with multitudes of big, fat earthworms (generally have few). I am thrilled this worked so well as using a composter doesn't work well here because we are so dry. Between the wind and lack of humidity, it is very hard to keep the compost damp. I'm sure the neighbors have certified me as insane as I planted tea bags, veggy trimmings, toilet paper rolls, etc. My daughter was also a bit uneasy. But I'm here to say it worked great and I've been saving up for a new batch of plantings. I freeze the food trimmings by the way.

Thanks for any advice on the tiller/ing.

Comments (12)