SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Who would've thought it?

melissa_thefarm
16 years ago

Our rose season has begun. As usual in our garden, the Chinas are leading the way: Old Blush and Spice are in full bloom, followed by the first flowers of Sanguinea; now Mme. Alfred Carrière has a few pale, sweetly scented roses open, and I saw the first blossom, very double and quite fine, on Mme. Antoine Mari. Well. All that drought last summer; the cane canker and dieback. Drought in December, January, February, March, sun and wind and warmth and watering the baby roses when Nature ought to have been doing it for us. The inch of rain a month not doing anything to replenish the aquifers, cracks opening in the ground. Now it's April, and for the first time this year it's raining generously, and we're having weather appropriate to the month.

Do you know what? The roses look splendid! They're full of buds and strong new growth and look magnificent and cheerful at the same time, the way roses do. Wandering around admiring things today I picked a bloom from Old Blush. Normally I think of Old Blush as a mass of determined pink, a rose to admire for its toughness and floriferousness rather than for the quality of its individual flowers. This bloom, however, is four inches across, double, with ruffled petals, and as shapely as a camellia. And it's good and fragrant as well. I saw Old Blush produce flowers like this once before in my garden, 2005 perhaps, a year of wonderful roses. The rain means we ought to have a great hay crop in May (affordable mulch!). The garden is beginning, at last, to look like a garden. Who would've thought it?

Melissa

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County