SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

Better way to grow Reine Victoria

User
12 years ago

Up against the back of my house, I have 2 small slightly raised beds. They came with the house and I put Reine des Violettes in one and Reine Victoria in the other. Both spots are tall and narrow.

I have both roses on homemade tripods. Reine des Violettes has worked out so well. I think this is year 4 with it. Year 3 and beyond, it really produces the goods. Gorgeous color, fabulous spring bloom and intermittent beyond that.

Reine Victoria, not so much. The spring bloom has been breathtaking so I don't want to ditch the rose. But in the past, the growth after spring has been so lanky and I kept cutting it so I didn't get much bloom beyond spring.

March was like Summer this year and I didn't spray until April so it has a lot of blackspot. That is a temporary problem as in prior years, I was able to keep it under control.

Last Fall (2011) a rose friend said not to cut the lanky growth but to stick a 6' pole in the ground and tie it on. That mostly worked better....the spring bloom from the laterals is fantastic.

But the bush is messy and chaotic looking. It sticks into the walkway and grabs passersby. The 3 pronged tripod approach is not working well. Does anyone have any ideas? There is not enough room to peg like I did elsewhere with Lilian Austin .

What type of garden structure would you suggest? Pictures appreciated!

Comments (2)