SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

What is your watering regimen? We all lean...

I am curious as to what everyone does for their watering regimens. What's the general rule in your garden for new perennials? How often do you water them? Do you pay close attention to each new plants requirements or are you more of a spray and pray kind of person, going for a general rule of thumb until you see protesting? I know region will effect everyone's choices quite a bit, as well as type of soil, but I'm still curious.

Myself, I am starting to believe that I'm an overwaterer! We have a pretty hot summer here in NC, so maybe that is what has developed this for me. I have noticed that when I watch my friend water, she sprays each plant for like 3 seconds, then moves on. The first time I saw her do that, I was thinking, man, I spend a whole lot more time on one plant than that. Her garden seems to do fine, though, but I have noticed she tends to choose drought-tolerant plants, as well.

I put in a new perennial bed this year and decided to sprinkle in some of Annie's Annuals for fill in until they have a chance to grow. Well, I learned very quickly that you have to pay close attention to the watering requirements of those plants b/c several were listed as "no water", which really threw my normal regimen! What do you mean, no water? LOL, that is the exact opposite of my instincts! Needless to say, I have a handful of slightly-yellow tinged annuals that are now on an "extra water"-free diet.

So, how about you? Do you water daily or less than that? Do you deep water or spray and move on? Do you pay attention to each plants requirements VERY closely or, well, not? I'll bet most of us lean in one direction or another. I'm very interested to hear from you!

Comments (14)