SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Transplanting Echinops Ritro & Lychnis Coronaria

MissMyGardens
15 years ago

I keep reading Echinops has a long tap root and are difficult to transplant. Don't think Lychnis Coronaria has a tap root but haven't dug one up yet.

Both were new last year and had just their basal rosettes.

They're in a spot where trees were supposed to be thinned or taken down but weren't and now they're in way too much shade.

I have to move them.

How deep is "very long tap" root with Echinops Ritro if anyone has experience with it...meaning how far down should I expect to dig before I start trying to ease them out? Assuming I'll see end of tap root but I know I've been wrong on many gardening assumptions before!

I don't think the Lychnis Coronaria is as bad to transpslant as the Echinops but if anyone has tips for that it'd be welcome as well.

I'm going to transplant this week just before the forecasted rain here starts and/or stems start coming up from the basal rosettes figuring earlier transplanting is better than waiting any longer.

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose them after waiting a year for them to bloom just because I mess up the transplanting.

Here's hoping I do better with some experienced advice. I hate transplanting...LOL.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County