SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_larkin

VIburnum dilatatum propagated and not blooming

Mike Larkin
16 years ago

I have two large Viburnum dilitatums in my yard that flower and bloom great. I have found many seedling from these two come up as volunteers, planted by the local birds. I have collected those small viburnums and replanted. At least four are several years old and are about the same size as the two parents. The three propagated children are planted in the following locations. 1 in full sun about 25 ft from the parents, one about 100 plus feet away in some afternoon shade, but full sun in morning and noon time and the last one I gave to my neighbor and is probably 300 plus feet away. None of these plants have really bloomed much, and therefore no berries. I have one more that I gave to a friend that has several viburnum and it blooms great.. The only explanation I can figure for this one blooming is that maybe the I progated by cutting a sucker or that maybe there are lots of pollinators in that yard.

Question - why aren't these propagated plants blooming. I can explain the one that is planted in my neighbors yard, and the closest pollenator is 300 feet away. But not sure about the others. Seed propagated plants should bloom - right? Any help

FYI when I bought these plants they we labled as Viburnum wrightii - found out later that they were mislabled

{{gwi:280495}}

This photo was slightly enhanced, so some of the detail is gone. Mike

One more thing if you have the chance to get the new Michael Dirr book on viburnums - get it, It is great

Comments (5)