SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephjmort

Help me save a dieing YEW in New Jersey

stephjmort
17 years ago

I live in an old house, and with this lovely old house came some old (at least 30 yr old) shrubs/trees. They were always well cared for and have all been fine in the past. Two years ago we began having rapid trouble. I lost a fantastic blue spruce that was up against the house in the back (facing NE). It had been trimmed up into a triangular umbrella and provided lovely shade to the screen porch. Then within months, I lost 2 tree yews in the front.

After doing research I realize exactly what killed all three of these... water. We had a sump pump pipe that came out of the basement, and had nowhere to go. We have since directed it far away from the house, but for awhile the blue spruce was puddle bound, at least a year. And I am sure that is what killed it. In the front with the Yews... bad gutters were creating a waterfall effect at the corners of the house where they were. They have since been repaired (but not in time), but now I fear a YEW SHRUB is suffering from all of this past water.

As you can see from the pics, the landscaping is very symmetrical. And I LOVE IT this way. Losing the one YEW would not be good. I would be forced to replace its left companion as well.

{{gwi:280386}}

{{gwi:280387}}

These YEWS sit at the bottom of a slope... and thanks to me doing some searches on here (great forum by the way) I realize that the slope is the problem. My soil does seem thick and clay like, and I am sure drainage is my issue. The left one has not been effected in the past by any water or gutter problems, which is why the left one appears to be fine.

About a month ago I noticed this yew turning a lighter green/yellow compared to the other one. Not thinking, I gave it a bit of miracle grow. But now it appears to be worsening.

Please tell me what I can do RIGHT NOW to save it. Do I need to add something specific to the soil? Please be specific, I know nothing about gardening whatsoever. Should I dig around it to give the roots air? Should I take the rocks away around the base? Should I dig around and add something to the soil, like sand or something? I will DO ANYTHING to save it.

These Yews only get sun in the evening, and then only for an hour or so. They get a bit more sun in winter when the leaves on the enormous trees across the street are gone, then the evening sun hits them a bit longer.

Please help me save my symmetrical yews. I really like them.

Stephanie

Comments (4)