SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedyacres

will this work as a compost bin?

weedyacres
10 years ago

I'm a composting newbie, and have been reading up as much as I can to get started for a spring garden in a new yard.

I've got a bunch of these kind of crates at work.
{{gwi:265448}}

They're not the minimum 3'x3'x3' that's supposedly required for a hot pile. The inside dimensions are ~18" tall x 24" wide x 7' long. Will I be able to get it hot enough? I've also got plenty of pallets and scrap plywood available, so if that would be better, I could do it.

Also, this has a cardboard liner. Leave to hold everything in, or take out so there's more air getting in?

BTW, I expect to be more of a continual adder than a big batch composter (after all, with the exception of leaves, most waste is produced steadily, not in big batches, so i don't really get how you can just be a batcher). I've got a couple plastic ice cream buckets of food scraps so far, and I plan to either wrap them in newspaper (per another useful thread) or mix in with sawdust (also readily available) and toss them in the bin, and then when things thaw I can rake up the leaves that are left and toss them in as well. I will have unlimited leaves available thanks to a few large trees and a ravine behind the back fence where I can "store" them to pull in during the spring/summer.

I welcome any advice on my above plan.

Comments (13)