SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
two_munkeys

Tiger Eyes Sumac

two_munkeys
18 years ago

Does it produce those fluffy flower heads that the regular cutleaf sumac does?

Has anyone grown this for a few years that can tell me if it spreads as aggressively as the regular sumac? I ripped out a sumac 5 years ago, and I'm STILL digging out suckers. I love tiger eyes, but don't want the hassle of aggressive suckering.

Comments (25)

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

See recent thread (search forum).

• two_munkeys
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Found it, thanks!

Still no answer on the flower heads though..........

• Related Discussions

tiger eye sumac

Q

Comments (2)
    Sumac suckers dramatically. I have the cutleaf staghorn, and it sends out suckers about 30 feet away from the edge of the original bed. I want the Tiger Eye, just saw it this spring, but am waiting for the mid=summer sales. I have many deer and rabbit issues, but they have never bothered my sumac. Must be other things in my yard taste better.
    ...See More

Tiger Eye Sumac Struggling

Q

Comments (1)
    'thinking' it gets enough water really is not good enough .... for a recent transplant .... FIND OUT ... and a quick google search ought to tell you whether the minimum light it is getting is enough ... early color change... on trees.. is usually associated with a long hard drought .... ken
    ...See More

Anyone transplanted a tiger eye sumac?

Q

Comments (3)
    Judy, before you dig anywhere , it is best to do the " call before you dig" thing. They will arrange for someone to come out free of charge to mark where the gas , water hydro lines are ( in case any of these are near where you want to dig ) It is a free service and whole lot better than blowing yourself or others up if you should hit a line . Here is the link to Ontario's call before you dig program . http://on1call.com/ I highly recommend it ! I too dont know how big a sumac root system can get but a good rule of thumb for most trees is ....whatever you see above ground ....is usually reflected below. siget
    ...See More

Transplanting some Tiger's-eye Sumacs

Q

Comments (1)
    I can't really speak to your gardening conditions, but if you must transplant them, I would not till the area or amend the soil. I would plant them in a hole with native soil and soak them deeply, mulch, and make sure they remain moist for about two weeks. Good luck with your project! Renee
    ...See More
  • basic
    18 years ago

TM,

Sorry, I can't answer flower question. Mine is only a couple of years old and no flowers thus far. This shrub is very aggressive, as the previous thread indicates. You didn't mention fall color, but don't expect anything near the vibrancy of the species. I love the season-long foliage of Tiger Eyes, but fall color is a disappointment. I guess you can't have it all. :>(

Bob

{{gwi:280154}}

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Doesn't cutleaf staghorn usually/frequently turn mostly orange?

• two_munkeys
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So no decent fall show. I suppose I could live without that (we are only talking a matter of weeks here!). The summer color is stunning - I planted a tiny one in spring but I need to find a new place for it. I assume winter branch structure the same as reg. cutleaf. I guess we'll wait and see on the flowerheads.

The suckering will be a problem though. Hmm....

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Depends on what you think of as "decent". One in above photo looks pretty orange, plus it isn't done yet. Autumn color varies, too, another year might produce a stronger effect. If red or pink are what you require, then I don't think any cutleaf staghorn sumac can be counted on to show much decency.

• juicylucy
    18 years ago

Last yr, which was the first yr. for my Tiger Eyes, the fall color was a pretty spectacular mix of yellow, orange & red/scarlet. It hasn't started turning yet this yr. but will be interesting to see what happens. Like anything, it probably depends a lot on the growing season and will presumably have variable years. Mine hasn't suckered yet, although it has grown like mad this yr. I don't really care if it suckers, though, I very much enjoy this shrub for the jolt of color it adds to the border! Definitely a keeper in my book, but I'm a sucker for Sumac :)

• Karchita
    18 years ago

My Tiger Eyes has had absolutely spectacular fall color for several weeks now, with scarlet, orange and yellow, now fading to russet. It is in a pot with light shade this year, and the summer foliage was light green, which I like much better than yellow. Not sure where I will place it in the garden yet, but the pot sure solves the suckering problem, lol.

• basic
    18 years ago

JL & Karchita,

I'm guessing that your Tigereyes don't look anything like this. There is some color, but about 1/3-1/2 of leaves simply brown-up without developing any color. It's not horrible, but doesn't measure up to typical Sumac standards. I've only had it a couple of years, so hopefully this is just an abberation.

Bob

{{gwi:280155}}

{{gwi:280157}}

• juicylucy
    18 years ago

Just wanted to report back that my Tiger Eyes did not have good color this yr., looked pretty much like Bob's!

• Debbie Downer
    18 years ago

Hey, I see y'all are in Wisconsin. We've had pretty severe (relatively speaking) drought this summer which is turning lots of things brown prematurely-- before they wouldve colored. Those pics look like most of my back yard.

• two_munkeys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Reporting back after 1 year of growing Tiger Eyes:

Suckering is definitely going to be a problem!

I dug up my Tiger Eyes this spring and re-planted it in another location. It was very small, thought I got all the roots up. Its growing beautifully in its new location (still waiting on the gorgeous yellow colour - I guess they are supposed to start out green?).

However, yesterday I spotted three new shoots coming up where it used to reside. Guess I didn't get all the roots after all! I was glad at first because I missed the bright yellow foliage in its old location. So much so that I wanted to run out and buy another tiger eyes, but the price was $50 this year!!! (I paid $20 last year). So, I was absolutely ecstatic when I saw those new shoots cloming up.

The happiness quickly turned to horror when I realized each of those new plants might produce three more new plants next year, and so on, and so on, and so on......

• mckenna
    17 years ago

This will be my 2nd season with the Tiger Eyes. It has started to sucker, but I wanted to move it this fall or early next spring to a new spot and was wondering if I should use a root barrier like people use with bamboo. I wanted to get a mass of the tiger eyes about 8-10 ft wide and as tall. I just wasn't sure if it is worth the effort to use the barrier or to just continuously pull the suckers. The fall color on mine was more in the orange range last year, but not bad.

• two_munkeys
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I'll be digging mine up this fall and putting in a root barrier. I moved it to the front garden and don't want it taking over my front yard. I have a piece of a huge plastic tube (about 5' diameter, 4' depth) that I'll plant the TigerEyes inside of.

As for my new shoots, I already lost 1 to bunnies before I could get some netting around them. I'll be digging these up and giving them a root barrier too. I had a regular run-of-the-mill native sumac growing along my back fence and I was pulling up suckers for 4-5 years after I dug it out. Not going through that again! So far, the TigerEyes has proven to be just as aggressive with suckering.

Interesting finding though: the new plants that suckered up in the old location are coming up far yellower than the original plant (so far). They are both in full sun. Not sure what's up with that?!!

• friesfan1
    16 years ago

I just bought a Tiger Eyes sumac and am reading with
    interest about suckering. I had read that they do not
    sucker badly, which is why I bought it.

I plan on putting down a weed barrier to start with.
    Does the soil type reflect the fall color?

I also just bought an Blacklace Elderberry , and read
    that the color is affected by soil type. More acid more
    color?? [don't remember where I read this now...]

The price has gone down on these plants. I got mine from
    and eBay seller for a total of 24.00 with shipping charges.
    VERY nice plant! Very happy with my purchase.

Thanks for letting me ramble.
    Mary

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

My Tiger Eyes is in it's 2nd year, and is sending out shoots twice as far away then it is tall.

I'm askeered. :-O

• friesfan1
    16 years ago

giboosi_alttara
    Uh Oh,
    That is scary! Other than the suckering how do you like
    it? What did you plant with it for a nice contrasting
    color?

Thanks,
    mary

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

It IS gorgeous. I have it planted in front of a line of white pines and a purple sand cherry.

I dug up and moved a bunch of the suckers.

• friesfan1
    16 years ago

Giboosi Alttra,
    Do you have any recent pictures of your Sumac?
    I would love to see the contrasting colors.

Mary
    z 5b KS

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

Alas, no pix. I'll try to remember to bring out the camera tomorrow.

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

Posted 2 pix in the gallery.

• ocdgardener
    13 years ago

I see that this is an excellent choice for a container. This would solve the suckering would it not? I plan on getting one and doing just this. This is a very old thread - but thought I'd start it up again!

• kari_flowers
    13 years ago

My Tiger Eye definately looks sick, brown and leaves falling off... no fall color at all, but I love the contrast of the yellow with my chocolate joe pye that is around it.... and a Summer wine ninebark.
    I am hoping it lives. It is in a triangle with weedblock fabric all around the outside of the 6 foot triangle. I would be happy for a sucker right now but then I better be careful what i wish for!

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Don't know why I was leaning on the orange fall color before but the pattern I see in my area is a strong pink appearing at least in the beginning, producing a pink-and-yellow pattern. One of the older, as far as it goes specimens I see regularly is very yellow in the summer. It is on the south side of a building in a cool climate. I remember is as going primarily pink in the fall, guess I'm just about to see what it does this year.

• sugar_sweet
    13 years ago

I have had a tiger eyes sumac for 5 years. The 2nd & 3rd years it seemed to want to sucker more then the last couple of years. Maybe it slows up once established? I also have a Staghorn Sumac, however that one hasn't slowed down in that department and I have had that one longer.