SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Yellowing interior leaves on a Pieris?

I planted a Pieris 'Scarlet O'Hara' in the spring. It was very healthy looking and remained so for awhile. At some point over the summer, I noticed a few interior leaves turning yellow. Considering it has been dry the later part of the summer, I assumed that was the reason and tried to step up the watering. I don't think I was able to keep it watered well though because no sooner would I water it, then that whole area would be dry again. It is near maple tree roots, which are well known for sucking up all the moisture. But even now when it has been raining regularly, there seem to be more yellowing interior leaves. It looks healthy otherwise. I didn't get a chance to take a photo but I could get one today if that would help. I was just wondering if there could be another reason, like PH of the soil or something? If it is just the watering, I will continue to try to soak it before the ground freezes. I assume I should remove the yellowed leaves. I wonder if this will make the shrub sparse now, or if I should consider doing anything to encourage more regrowth, in the spring? Thanks :-)

Comments (8)