SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

Lamenting the Loss of Historic Roses

hartwood
16 years ago

I love to sit and read the descriptions and evaluations of roses that were deemed to be garden-worthy in the past. Many of the roses in my own collection have been chosen based on what I read in old rose books.

My evenings earlier this week were spent curled in my favorite leather chair with Roses of the World in Color by J. Horace McFarland, the 1936 edition, and a legal pad. I find that Editor McFarland and I agree on roses more than we disagree, so I tend to take a good look at ones that appeal to me and that he reviews favorably. Two evenings of reading and scribbling resulted in three pages of roses to investigate. I took my list to HMF yesterday morning, to see photos, modern descriptions, whatever comments there may be, and (hopefully) a commercial source for the ones that make the final Wish List.

I am completely dumb-founded at how few of these roses can be found anywhere today. Many of them exist on HMF only from references in old literature, like the book I was working from. Some others were found in inventory lists of old historic private gardens which are gone now. Others, though they may be American introductions, are listed only in the collections at Sangerhausen or Rosarie de LÂHay. Thank Heaven for nurseries like Vintage Gardens and Roses Unlimited, which have made preservation of worthy older roses a priority.

As one would expect of a book written in the 1930Âs, most of these roses are hybrid teas. Editor McFarland goes out of his way, however, to highlight many older roses that he feels have value in the garden . . . many of which I already have -- but this should be a subject for another thread at another time.

Please indulge me for a minute as I list my memorial to roses I would like to find:

Afterglow, HT, 1931, plant patent #9

Ariel, HT, 1921

Many of Capt. ThomasÂs Bloomfield roses

Dr. E. M. Mills, 1926, Van Fleet HRg

Druschki Rubra, HP, 1929

Ernestine Cosme, LC Wich, 1926

Evelyn Thornton, Poly, 1919

General John Pershing, LC Wich, 1917

Golden Dawn, HT, 1929

Hilda, HT, 1928

Heart of Gold, LC, Van Fleet, 1926

Henri Linger, LC, Barbier, 1928

Ile de France, LC Wich, 1922

Johanna Tantau, Poly, 1928

Jacotte, LC Wich, Barbier, 1920

Jonkheer J. L. Mock, HT, 1910

Leonard Barron, HT, Nicolas, 1931

Little Beauty, HT, 1935

Mme. Albert Barbier, HP, 1925

Mrs. Dudley Fulton, Poly, 1929

Mrs. George C. Thomas, LC or Hyb. Musk, 1921

Mrs. Henry Bowles, HT, 1921

Nora Cunningham, CHT, 1921, available in Australia

Oriflame, Hyb. Wich, 1914

Primevere, LC, Barbier, 1929

Polar Bear, HT, 1934

RMS Queen Mary, HT, 1913

Romeo, LC Wich, Easlea, 1919

Rochester, HT, 1934

Sargent, LC Wich, 1912

Shenandoah, LC, 1934

Sophie Thomas, CHT, 1931

Springtime, Poly, 1935

Souv. de Georges Pernet, HT, 1921

Virginia, LC, 1931

and one I REALLY would like to have:

Tip-Top, Poly, Lambert, 1909 (Check out the photo on HMF in the link below)

Thanks for reading this far. If you have leads on any of these roses, let me know. Or, if you would like to post your own list of lamented roses, please feel free to do so.

Connie

P.S. DonÂt EVEN get me started on the Van Fleet roses that are only available at nurseries in Europe . . . Ruby Queen, New Century, Pearl Queen, and Philadelphia. Or the ones that are completely lost  Magnafrano or Clara Barton, anyone?

Comments (19)