SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

Weed control in rose beds

16 years ago

I've tried covering with newspaper and grass clippings. I've tried pulling or digging up the weeds. That lasted about a week as it was too tedious. Now I know most here apply a thick mulch of like pine bark. I never did that and maybe I've been lucky as according to a current thread it seems that most of those who do that end up with canker. Of course the case is not proven that leaving the mulch causes canker.

Anyway I'm going to try a new approach. Just spading the soil. Turning over the soil, burying the weeds so they decompose adding organic matter and killing them. Pulling weeds just leaves some roots to carry on. Spading is the old fashioned way to prepare the vegetable garden.

Now I'm really jumping to conclusions here as I've only done it in a very small patch of one bed. But it was much easier to do than pulling or doing my usual thing of the newspaper and grass clippings. It looks good too. All that mulch is so artificial looking like they do around office buildings where the plants also look artificial.

Anybody do this?

Comments (21)