SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropicdude

Goji Prunning?

15 years ago

My Goji plants are starting to take off, and now comes the question of how to prune, the biggest plant is only 3ft long but has grown about 2 of those feet in the last month or so, I would like my plant to be more like a bush and less of a vine.

I have read that prunning is the answer, but no details of when and how I should cut them back, do i wait till they are 8 to 10 ft? how much do I cut? where? and after plants are mature, do I prune after they have fruited? before? etc.

any tips or experience you have for Goji care would help.

Note. I live in the tropics, and have no "winter" our climate is 2 season, summer and summer hahaha, ok just kidding, it gets "more comfy" in winter here. the plants I have only get a few hours of sun a day.

Comments (3)

• 15 years ago

Took me awhile to plow through all the hype on the net about " Goji berries ".
    Wikipedia has quite the write up about this but nothing about cultivation .
    Check out the link and see what you can get from it .

Here is a link that might be useful: Wolfberry

• 15 years ago

Thanks Gatormomx, yes, Wiki had plenty good information, although nothing on pruning, the little information I did find on the subject was that I should let it grow to about 8 - 10 ft, then prune when in dormant period, since im in the tropics, I may not have a dormant period on my Goji, so Ill have to play it by ear, since my plants are 3ft or less, I should have plenty of time.

• 15 years ago

Goji plants can be prunned all seasons but winter (after plants become dorment)is most important time to prune goji.

1. Keep goji tree in ideal height (depends on your variety, 1.5 -2m ), remove any braches above this height.

2. Keep some clearance between canopy and ground (35 cm)

3. Identify some ineffective branches (they usually grow very fast in the grow season, very straight and smooth) remove them if they don't contribute to ideal canopy structure.

4. Examine the canopy shape and decide which model you want to use to build your canopy. Prune branches according to the model, the rule of thumb is to ensure sunshine, wind can go through the canopy while yield can be maximized.

5. 'Umbrella' was a traditional model of goji canopy. It has been replaced by '3-floor building' and other modern models.
    I will post detailed prunning tips on my website go-goji.com late.

Jason

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County