SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tunnymowg

Foundation shrub for western exposure

tunnymowg
16 years ago

I need two fairly formal-looking shrubs to go on either side of a bay window in a perennial bed front of my house, which faces west and gets no afternoon shade. The site is also fairly windy. Ideally they would be broadleaved columnar evergreens (maybe 8-10' high and no wider than about 3'). I was considering Greenspire euonymus or Buxus sempervirens 'Dee Runk' or some other boxwood, but the more I am reading, I think I need to accept that they wouldn't work in such an exposed location. I had also thought about an Emerald arborvitae or Skyrocket juniper, but they would need tying up for the winter which in my mind defeats the purpose of having an evergreen in the first place, and they are kind of overplanted here anyway. I guess the juniper would be okay in those conditions but aside from the tying up, I really didn't want anything that sharp and "needle-y."

Are there any evergreens (broadleaved or not) I could put in this location that wouldn't go brown in all the sun/wind and wouldn't need protection from snow loads? I wanted to stick with a tall and narrow form, but if I expanded my search to something shorter (3 or 4 feet), would that help? Or something that wants to be wider than 3 feet but would be okay with heavy pruning without looking weird? Alternatively, I guess I would need to consider something deciduous with a strong form or seasonal interest. Any suggestions along those lines would also be welcome. Thanks.

Comments (2)