SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

How exciting! Buds on my Albas!

nikthegreek
10 years ago

I only have 4 old European once bloomers planted. One is Ispahan planted this fall which is already growing strongly but I do not expect any blooms this year. The other three I planted fall of 2012 hoping to see blooms this year. The winter started quite promising (i.e. chilly) but ended up being very mild, a non-winter really. My hopes for seeing blooms on these roses had vanished, having read about these roses' affinity to cool winter conditions, but today I noticed buds forming on both Queen of Denmark and Felicite Parmentier! I feel excited and can't wait to see flowers on them!

Are these roses considered relatively 'easy' bloomers in warmer climates? One thing I did is that I pulled off all their leaves in December hoping to help them go into some kind of dormancy.

My other once bloomer, Charles de Mills, is only just leafing out. Is it normal for this Gallica to leaf out so much later than the Albas? Should I have hopes that it will bloom also?

All this is so exciting since my experience with these kinds of roses is minimal. Will I be so lucky and be able to grow both Teas and Chinas and these European once bloomers in my garden?
Nik

Comments (11)