SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gaijingirl

Help me help these Sweet Olives!

gaijingirl
15 years ago

About 2 days ago, A lady in my area gave me five Sweet Olive bushes. Her husband dug them up because he thought they grew too fast and was sick of pruning them (everything I have read online about them says they grow slow!)They've only been out of the ground 2 days now, so I have them in buckets, in water, but I know this is probably not a good idea and need to get them in the correct situation ASAP if they are going to survive. I really want to save them...but I don't have much experience, and hope that you all can guide me in transplanting these Shrubs.

I think that they are about 2 years old, were probably put there by their builder when they moved in.) They are about 3'x3' approx., but have been severely pruned, so if her description of their growth is correct, I think they would be a lot bigger if they hadn't been pruned so often. The root ball measures about 10" wide by 12" long.

How big of a hole should I be putting these in? How far apart should they be? (They had them very close together at their house.)

Should I add anything to the soil? We are in very rocky-clay in our area. (and it's a new construction area, so it's very terrible because of that too.) Is it best to plant them in our naitive soil or amend it where they will be planted?

Should I be adding any type of root stimulator to help prevent transplant shock? Or, just stick with plain water to start them?

Any info you can give me to help me with the transplanting process as well as how to care for the Sweet Olive would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Comments (6)