SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hershigrl

My Sister's Mystery Roses

hershigrl
15 years ago

My sister bought a house that has about 50 rose bushes. (The house was vacant for 2 years!) They are just coming into bloom. I have been tasked with trying to identify them, which I clearly cannot do all by myself! So far, they all appear to be hybrid teas. Here are some of the mystery roses:

Apricot (1 of 2)

{{gwi:245782}}

Apricot (2 of 2)

{{gwi:245785}}

Coral

{{gwi:245790}}

Yellow

{{gwi:245794}}

Light Pink (1 of 2)

{{gwi:245798}}

Light Pink (2 of 2)

{{gwi:245803}}

Second Apricot (1 of 2)

{{gwi:245807}}

Yellow/Red Bicolor - Super Fragrant! (1 of 2)

{{gwi:245811}}

Yellow/Red Bicolor (2 of 2)

{{gwi:245813}}

Scentless Red

{{gwi:245819}}

Comments (24)

• bgrose
    15 years ago

sorry I have no idea but they are all wonderful!

• osromatra
    15 years ago

I think #1 might be Brandy, depending on how true to color the pic is. If it's pinker, it may be something else, unless it doesn't get much sun. Or maybe Clara?

http://www.helpmefind.com/plant/pl.php?n=822
    http://www.helpmefind.com/plant/pl.php?n=1210

• Related Discussions

Sister's mystery vine

Q

Comments (3)
    bindweed is going crazy in my MI garden.... TODAY ... mile deep roots.. you will never pull it out ... time for the big guns.. IMHO ken
    ...See More

Which rose for my Ohio sister for her Birthday?

Q

Comments (18)
    Very interesting. It's great that you have those fences. I'm assuming roses in your zone generally don't become monsters, so that's a point in your favor. And you can grow some smaller ones in big pots on the deck. You're doing a lot of vertical growing. But do at least allow the recommended spacing. It will save having to dig them up and move them next year. Here's what happens when plants grow. 4/14/07: 9 rose bushes planted 5' on center (too close in Florida) and probably as many perennials in a 30' long triangular bed 6/26/07: Growing nicely. 4/4/08: Some roses shifted, one needs to come out, no perennials left except a couple of new daisies, and I think I'm in for some heavy trimming in the future to keep these from encroaching on each other. They're touching now after only a year. At least, being a guy, your back is better built for digging the same hole 2 or 3 times. Mine isn't. It's getting tired. Try to do it right the first time. Sherry
    ...See More

Care to guess on my Mystery Rose?

Q

Comments (5)
    no idea about the foliage, would it help more if I took some more detailed pictures of the stems, etc...? Fragrance, I'd say it smells really nice, you can't smell it from far away (like Jude the Obscure) but when you smell the flower of this mystery rose, it has a definite sweet old-rose smell to me... the way grandma's rose perfume smells to me. Kinda like Penelope or Lavender Lassie perhaps... I can't remember off the top of my head. ah, but I suppose, I love the flower, so it doesn't really matter what it is, but I'd love to know, and on top of that, knowing what it is would help me find a better place for it. (so happy to have a mystery rose that isn't RED.)
    ...See More

Please help with mystery rose in my garden

Q

Comments (15)
    Carol - Fragrance - very very faint. I always have trouble smelling much scent on tea roses. Smells just like my DdB, which is the only other tea I have blooming right now - I compared them. Kim- what about the fact that it is climbing? HMF says odorata grows to 1 or 2 feet tall. Also, a bit of new data - when I just went out to smell the blooms, some of the closed very dark pink buds from yesterday have partially opened, and now look way more like some of the pictures on HMF of partially open blooms which have very dark pink petals remaining on the outside of the bloom, while the inside petals are white. Jackie
    ...See More
  • bethnorcal9
    15 years ago

The first apricot one looks kind of like SUNSET CELEBRATION or possibly SPECIAL OCCASION. The second apricot could be BRANDY or JUST JOEY? The yellow and red bicolor.... maybe SUTTER'S GOLD? Pink.... maybe BEWITCHED?

• Tammy Owens
    15 years ago

I don't know a lot about HT's but the first one looks like Tiffany to me or at least it looks like my Tiffany.My Tiffany has those same colorations until it opens completely. Is it fragrant? The light pink one looks like Queen Elizabeth and the second apricot one looks like Just Joey. The others I have no idea about, but they all look great to me.

Tammy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Congrats and best of luck to your sister on her new home!

"Second Apricot (1 of 2)" = 'Just Joey', without a doubt

"Yellow" possibly 'Gold Medal'--any slight orange-y edging here and there?

"Light Pink (2 of 2)" = 'Queen Elizabeth'

"Coral" = 'Tropicana'?? (is it fragrant?)

"yellow/red bicolor super fragrant" = 'Granada'

1st one seems familiar but not sure, colors suggest 'Sunset Celebration', but not sure on form.

• kstrong
    15 years ago

My guesses are below. You could help us by giving us the approx age of the plants (which may be the same as the age of the house). Also, the heighth of the plants, size of blooms and the fragrance. I also live in an older South Calif home, and I actually found the tags for most of the roses that were here when I got here by just scratching around in the soil at or near the grafts. It turned out there were some varieties here that were intro'd by J & P in the year the house was built, and which have not been on the market since them. But anyway, here goes:

Apricot - looks like Sunset Celebration to me.
    Coral -- Tropicana would be the first choice, but if the blooms are quite small, then Prominent.
    Yellow -- Gold Medal (it has that really saturated bright yellow, with just a touch of red on the edges).
    Light Pink -- Queen Elizabeth (it gets about 6 feet tall and is very prolific with the flowers?)
    Second Apricot -- that's gotta be Just Joey (fairly short bush, not many basal canes --it likes to dog leg its new growth from an older cane).
    Yellow/Red Bicolor -- you've got me on that one, no idea. Could it be Redgold or Picadilly, maybe, both of which are quite small flower size? Or Talisman?
    Scentless red -- there's a lot of those, could be anything. Maybe Opening Night. No scent there, and a VERY bright clear red red.

Have fun with this. Another thing you could do is to take a bloom or two of the ones you want to id to a rose society meeting -- you'll probably find someone there who can id it.

Kathy

• shellys4811
    15 years ago

Just throwing in a guess here, but I'm thinking that the first apricot looks a lot like my Tahitian Sunset.

And the yellow/red bicolor reminds me of my Perfect Moment.

I, too, agree with the others that the second apricot is Just Joey. And the pink does look like my Queen Elizabeth, but from the pics it looks like my Memorial Day, too.

I can't guess on the yellow or red. But I wish you luck on helping your sister! What a beautiful bonus with a new house!!

• kstrong
    15 years ago

Yep, forgot about Perfect Moment (even though I grow it). It was and is a very popular rose that could be that one. The way to tell Perfect Moment is by the thorns -- it is one of the thorniest roses out there. Give the thorns a look see. (However, I don't think Perfect Moment has much fragrance.)

Kathy

• shellys4811
    15 years ago

I have to add: the yellow/red bicolor could possibly be Rio Samba. I grow two of those, and there is a lot of similarity.

Shelly

• liane_z4_canada
    15 years ago

I also think the second one with coral as a title looks like my tropicana.
    Good luck with the rest
    Liane

• maele
    15 years ago

I agree with a lot of the others.
    The second ruffly and large has to be Just Joey. In socal it's great, apparently the rest of the country hates it.
    The red/yellow could be Perfect Moment, but I don't know if PF has any fragrance.
    If the light pink is floriferous and/or tall, it is Queen Elizabeth..
    After taking a second look, I agree that the first could be Brandy if the flower keeps some of the apricot, as Brandy is not a true pink, only when faded in the sun.
    If the coral is a just a little lighter than the picture, not quite a true orange, then it is Tropicana. This one also holds up to heat well, as a matter of fact I have never seen one with a faded bloom.
    The yellow is Gold Medal if it has red/orange edges as a bud and then turns a bright yellow as it opens. If it is a cool greenish yellow when opening and holds up to the sun very well, then it is St. Patrick. Doesn't look too much like St. Patrick though, just my two cents. I'm not familiar with other yellow roses because those two are the most popular ones in my area, also in socal.
    Have fun!

• maele
    15 years ago

On second thought, the petal edges on the yellow could be St. Patrick, sorry!

• ramblinrosez7b
    15 years ago

The first one looks like Sunset Celebration. The coral one looks like Fragrant Cloud. The light Pink looks like First Prize. The 2nd Apricot does look like Just Joey. The yellow red bicolor one looks like Rio Samba. Not sure of the red one.

• susan9santabarbara
    15 years ago

Rose 1 could possibly be Sunset Celebration based on the color, but the form doesn't look right for it. Definitely not Brandy (Brandy is orange with no pink tones), and probably not Tiffany (Tiffany has a slight warm yellow at the base of its petals, but not too much overall apricot tones). Tiffany has a really strong fragrance, and Sunset Celebration has a medium fragrance. Brandy has pretty much no fragrance.

Rose 2 could be Artistry. Also could be Tropicana. Fragrant Cloud is easy to identify by its unique strong fragrance.

Rose 3 might be Midas Touch. That deep yellow is unique. The pic is too deep and pure of a yellow for Gold Medal.

Rose 4 looks a lot like Bewitched in bud and full bloom. If it is ultra-fragrant, that's a good bet. It's definitely not First Prize. FP is not a solid pink.

Rose 5 is definitely Just Joey.

Rose 6 looks like Perfect Moment, but PM has no fragrance. It could possibly be Granada, but Granada usually isn't quite so only yellow/red and has more subtle variations in its color. If it smells strong and sweet like DD, it might be Granada, but I kind of doubt it.

Rose 7 the scentless red could be anything :-D

Susan

• bethnorcal9
    15 years ago

The red and gold one is most definitely NOT Perfect Moment!! I still think it could be SUTTER'S GOLD, altho I don't have that one. Could be PICADILLY or TALISMAN. Doubt if it's REDGOLD. I had that one yr's ago, and it never looked like the second photo.

• amandahugg
    15 years ago

This is a fine example of why you need to look at more than the flower to ID a rose. The second photo of the pink nails it as Bewitched. The reason being...Bewitched always has a curved neck (peduncle) to the flower. To help in ID-ing the others, send photos showing the foliage, stem and thorn pattern. That will give a lot more clues to the mystery.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Not 'Rio Samba', 'Rio Samba' has little-to-no fragrance.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Red and scentless, 'Olympiad'? Petal count might be helpful here.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Those sure are pretty. I specially like the red/yellow bicolor.
    Were the roses a big plus to why your sister picked the house? I wonder if she can ask the previous owner through the RE agent?

• michaelg
    15 years ago

Red/yellow bicolor-- flower is not that characteristic of Granada but the foliage in shot 2 is-- foliage of Granada is characteristically twisted like that. It is also sparse, drab green, and very susceptible to PM. Most Granada flowers finish a strange fluorescent brick-red. Happy plants produce large clusters spaced out on trusses with few leaves. This flower does look more like Sutter's Gold.

Olympiad is a good guess for the red.

The coral looks a bit like Voodoo but more shots would be needed.

• kublakan
    15 years ago

It's important to note that all of our suggestions are framed by our personal experiences with roses. With that said, here are my suggestions:

#1 - Medallion (The color and bud form are identical to mine. This is a huge rose that opens large)yet it also reminds me of another rose I have named Summer's Kiss (this one has a very distinct aroma of licorice).

#2 - Tropicana (this one has an abundance of thorns and a citrusy scent) or Artistry (it's not, imo, Fragrant Cloud as it's orange is too light)

#3 - St. Patrick (The form of this one is more like a florist rose in bug shaped (cupped) with no scent. Gold Medal has orangey hues to it and tends to be smaller in bud size)

#4 - Memorial Day (the frilly edges seem to be a dead giveaway, but MD has a high petal count with a heady old rose scent and this pic seems light on the petal count) my other suggestion would be Queen Elizabeth.

#5 - Just Joey (The frilly petals, open form, and leggy stems with sparse leaves are characteristics. This one should have a great scent much like it's forefather Fragrant Cloud) it could also be Brandy, but I'm not so convinced.

#6 - My vote is for Perfect Moment as Rio Samba's color tends to be more subdued. Perfect Moment tends to cup in bud form and doesn't have a high petal count.

#7 - Black Cherry (this one is a floribunda with no scent and healthy shinny foliage)

Thanks for posting the pics and letting us participate in this trivia game hershygrl. Keep us posted on further developments.

Adrian.

• hershigrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of your assistance so far!

You guys nailed the second apricot. I'm putting together a label order and I'm officially putting JUST JOEY down for that one. This makes sense because the former owner definitely liked ordering things in multiples. I already found a metal tag for another Just Joey.

The house was built in 1998. It was listed for sale by the occupant owner, then foreclosed on by the bank, then purchased by a non-occupant investor, then finally purchased by my sister. I believe it went in and out of escrow 6 times! (The real estate market is so crazy right now!) My sister doesn't know anything about gardening, so I'm giving her a crash course. I bought her some elbow length gloves and a hand pruner to start her out. She knows I'm super excited about her rose windfall, so she's letting me buy labels for her roses. I found metal tags and/or recognized about 25 roses. The roses appear to be 5- 10 years old.

I know the Yellow/Red blend is not Perfect Moment since I grow that one. Based on the HMF pictures and the comments, I'm leaning towards Granada.

For the Pink, it sounds like it's Bewitched. Boy, the Bewitched pictures and the Queen Elizabeth pictures on HMF look almost identical! The house has 2 Queen Elizabeths already, so I can compare them.

The yellow could be Midas Touch since there is another Midas Touch at the house. I'll have to compare the two.

For the coral, the HMF pictures look the most like Artistry. Plus, there was no fragrance, which I believe would knock out Tropicana and Fragrant Cloud.

For the first apricot, Tahitian Sunset is too new for the age of the plant. So I'm going with Sunset Celebration.

So I'm going to go ahead and tentatively fill out the label order form for Just Joey, Sunset Celebration, Bewitched, Granada and Artistry. If I'm wrong, labels are cheap! Thanks for your help. Next time I go to my sister's house, I'll take more pictures and post them. THANKS!!

• hershigrl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm back! I was over at my sister's house for mother's day. I have a whole new set of mystery roses to ask you about, which I'll put in another thread. For this thread, I have some more pictures of the roses posted initially.

Sunset Celebration? - This is the same bloom as shown in the first picture above. Does it look like an old Sunset Celebration?

{{gwi:245823}}

The next three pictures are more of the yellow rose above. The guesses previously were St. Patrick, Midas Touch, St. Patrick and Sutters Gold. No fragrance.

{{gwi:245827}}
    {{gwi:245831}}
    {{gwi:245834}}

The next two pics are more of the light pink rose. Previous guesses were Bewitched and Queen Elizabeth. I'm leaning towards Bewitched.
    {{gwi:245838}}
    {{gwi:245841}}

Thanks for all of your input!

• skayc1_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I wonder if the house was vacant for two years if the roses formed hips and grew new plants from the seed and being allowed to grow wild?