SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zacman44

Manual by-pass for motorized shutters?

zacman44
15 years ago

I have installed two 16# motorized shutters. They are the kind which utilize a chain which is hooked to a central bar. . .the motor has an arm which rotates away from the wall pulling the chain and opening the vents. They are fully wired but not energized yet. While I was in the gh working on other things it was a bit hot and I wanted the vents open so I simply pulled the chains down and hooked them on to an eye-hook - so the vents would remain open (They are hooked up to a spring which keeps them otherwise closed). Anyway, this was convenient. . I can see that there may be times I want to open the vents while I have the door open - without using the exhaust fan. So I am contemplating hooking up a separate chain for only this manual use. I don't, however, know if that would affect the shutter motor adversely, i.e., if it needs a certain amount of tension which would be absent if it came on when the vents were already open using the manual system. Has anyone tried a manual by-pass for motorized shutters - and will this work? If no one has worked thru this, I will call the manufacturer and see what they can tell me. . .(I need to call them anyway as there were extra parts in the box which are nowhere referred to in the instructions and are not in any of the diagrams. . .tho I have an idea how they could be used. . .)

Comments (8)