SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjkw_gw

Senna revisited

kjkw
13 years ago

Good evening,

I revisited the site at which I found the plant that we previously discussed here as Curved Seed Pods. I wasn't able to locate that particular individual, but I found some others that I'm quite sure are identical. When pulled upright, these stood about six feet tall, with a stem approximately 3/8"-7/16" thick at the base, so mine, which was leaning over, may have been taller than I thought it was. The seed pods, when looked at very closely, do have some very tiny fuzz, but definitely not to the degree visible in these images of Tephrosia virginiana. If I wasn't taking close up photos I wouldn't have noticed it. There are dark glands at the base of the leaves. I opened up a seed pod and found that some of the seeds are green and some are black. A set of images can be found at Latest Pictures. The first picture is of the original plant. I thank you all for your interest in this.

If I plant a seed in potting soil and keep it indoors, will it grow?

Comments (10)

• weedwoman
    13 years ago

OK, I concede, it's a senna. The black glands on the leafstalks do it for me. And Tephrosia certainly isn't 6' tall. The perils of tring to ID from one photo...

Here's link to a site that talks about growing senna from seed (starting at the bottom of the first page.)

WW

Here is a link that might be useful: Senna from seed

• kjkw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

> The perils of trying to ID from one photo...

Particularly when the photographer doesn't know what features are the most significant. Thanks for the link. I wonder if it mignt now be possible to pin down the species with some reasonable accuracy?

• SusanC
    13 years ago

Per my other post, I believe it is Senna hebecarpa, American senna.

Here is a link that might be useful: Senna hebecarpa, American senna

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Great follow-up details!

• weedwoman
    13 years ago

Based on those pictures, which are very nice, it's Senna hebecarpa. The club shaped gland, the longish hairs and almost square pod divisions distinguish it from the similar Senna marilandica, according to the key in Gleason.

Here are some pics of both plants:
    Senna hebecarpa
    Senna marilandica

Don't feel bad about not knowing what features are significant. I am usually too lazy to try to key plants out in the field - I just take lots of pictures (besides, you can blow them up and see all the little tiny details) but invariably the first thing they want to know is something I don't have a picture of.

WW

• kjkw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It seems that my trekking was rewarded, and we finally have a ID of this. Senna hebecarpa it shall be. Thank you all. With insect, spider, flower, and fruit season soon coming to an end here, I may be spending my winter reading about these things, rather than searching for them. Might anybody suggest some good books for my holiday wish list?

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

Newcomb's Wildflower Guide by Lawrence Newcomb

Great for keying out most any flowering plant here in the northeast. The key takes a little practice getting used to it but just practice with some plants you already know. It's the one I turn to first when I don't know a plant.

Any of the Peterson field guides would be next on my list. Followed by the Audobon field guides.

For a truly pocket-sized and inexpensive reference, try the "Nature Study Guides." The books cost $4, many have keys, and they hit the most commonly seen items of the type of thing the book is covering. I included the amazon link for one of them so you could find what I'm talking about.

Native Plants of the Northeast: A Guide for Gardening and Conservation By Donald J. Leopold is another favorite.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon - Winter Tree Finder

• kjkw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I'll check out each of those. That Winter Tree Finder looks kind of unique.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Bringing Nature Home by Douglas Tallamy.

• kjkw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. The readers at Amazon certainly do seem to like it.