SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mi_gw

Azaleas dying - water mold / root rot?

Ruth_MI
9 years ago

My neighbors' landscaper planted azaleas ('Delaware Valley') in their back yard last fall. Most of them were dead or dying in spring, so they were replaced. The new ones are also in various states of decline.

The area is being watered with their sprinkler system. It's under some large trees (hickory, I think) with a fairly open canopy. The guy had told them they need to water more, but I stuck my finger in the soil (before we had a drenching rain last week!) and it was moist beginning right at the surface. The soil is pretty heavy too.

In the picture I'm posting, some leaves are totally limp but clinging, some look OK, and of course some have already dropped. On other shrubs there are branches with leaves on the outside and a huge brown area in the middle.

From what I've Googled, these are prone to root rot, and pecifically to Phytophthora. Root rot was the first thing that came to mind when I saw them too.

But if I could get a couple of your expert opinions, they'd appreciate it and I would too. Thanks!

Comments (7)