SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susantm08

Boxwood or alternatives for formal, privacy hedges

susantm08
12 years ago

I am looking to put a long line of shrubs (140 feet) to put a divider between my home and our neighbors. I absolutely LOVE boxwood, but don't think I can afford (unless I start with 2 footers and hope to live to 100) the number of boxwoods for the height I would like to start with (at least 4 feet) to give a bit of an instant border. I love the formal, clean look of these shrubs. I have considered privet as it looks similar and seems to grow fast, but I understand many of them lose their leaves in the winter and that would defeat the purpose of the shrub. It also seems like the maintenance on the privet would be more than the boxwood. Should I go with the boxwoods and just start small, do they really grow THAT slow? Are there any fast growing ones? Could I buy the small ones and plant REALLY close together and force them to grow up faster? Or should I go with the privet and hope they don't lose ALL their leaves? Is there a type of ilex that I would consider that would be cheaper but give a "boxwood" look? Any help would be appreciated as I am a new home owner and new to gardening. Thank you, Susan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments (8)