SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbiedeb

Help with a highway blocking shrub please...a little long

newbiedeb
11 years ago

Hi all. I would love some help in figuring out a good hedge to use.

As you can see by the attached photo, my house is right on the highway. Excuse the mess please, we just finished the siding.

Anyway, the highway is noisy, dusty and worst of all, I feel like I'm on display every time I walk outside, much less try to actually do anything out there.

I MUST find a way to block it out, but I hate to create a "fortress" effect either. Several people on the rose forum have suggested a long line of common purple lilac (which I can easily get from my local extension center) but I know a lot of people here have strong feelings about mixing it up and not losing the whole thing to one spreading plant problem/disease.

As you can guess, road salt is a major issue here. The frontage is 264', but I would be happy just dealing with the "house side" for now (132'), especially since we now have literally nothing planted around the house. Ideally, I would like the hedge between the highway and the house, and just leave an opening in front of the porch for access.

I would love a long blooming Rugosa Rose hedge, but the thorns and hassle are probably not worth it. I love the Lilacs but have read they only bloom for a week or two out of the year, and I'd definitely prefer some flowers in the mix more often than that, given a choice.

Our local plant sale is coming up in October and they will have many shrubs, trees and perennials but I can't seem to figure out what will work the best for me, and still look nice.

I have planted a mix of 50 Norway Spruce and Colorado Blue Spruce on the North and West side of our acre thanks to the help of the people on the Conifer forum and so far they are doing great - woohoo! (unfortunately that is the only thing under my belt to date...)

Any suggestions?

Comments (21)