SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clavero_gw

Shade Cloth - Density & Other Questions

clavero
18 years ago

I'm anticipating the early summer here in Nor Cal (Sonoma County - about 15 miles inland from the Left Coast)and have a few questions about shade cloth over a new 9 x 14 GH.

The plan is to use the GH for a mix of uses....a few orchids, flower and veggie starts in the Spring, rotate out a few of the houseplants, etc.

It's covered with 10mm twinwall, oriented east-west but NOT in an ideal location. It receives late afternoon shade from trees in the neighbors yard to the west/soutwest. I've installed an 16" exhaust fan and two 16" motorized end wall shutters, so no roof vents are involved.

I plan to use Aluminet and would be very appreciative for input about:

a. What density of material should I use? I know it´s a big question , with lots of qualifiers, but the FAQ suggests something between 40 & 60 %. The outside air temps can reach the high 90s to 100 during summer, but rarely...most summer days top out at 85-90s. My leaning is toward 50% at the moment but that is just a guess. (Seems silly to reduce the light more than that after going to the trouble to keep the roof and walls as open the sun as possible.)

b. It seems to me that the ideal would be to have the shade cloth stand off the twinwall a bit (say 4-5 inches) to both allow air passage between them and to prevent the shade cloth form scratching up the twinwall over the years. I have this idea for a kind of "rain fly" support frame to drape and secure the Aluminet over. Is this a sily notion?

Many thanks, in advance, for your suggestions / perspective.

Comments (21)