SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Planted my first shrub: Forsythia Lynwood Gold today. Pic include

ilovemytrees
11 years ago

Hi everyone. Unfortunately, I had to plant it today because the roots were completely grown out of the bottom of the bucket, so much so that it really was ridiculous. However, the shrub is absolutely gorgeous in spite of it. I felt it would be better off in the ground than what it was currently living in. So we planted it as our sun was starting to set, and we've watered it very well. The bush was out in full sun all summer at the local nursery so i didn't have to harden off.

Oh, and on a personal note the local nursery kind of made me mad. I emailed them because they NEVER answer their phone, it always goes to voice mail. Anyway I emailed her and asked her if A: she had a Forsythia Lynwood Gold and B: how much are they?

She wrote back and said A: yes, we do, and B: they are $21.99. I wrote her back and said perfect, I'm on my way. Idrove over there immediately and picked out the one I wanted, and an employee carried it to the office and said $29.99. I said so and so (the owner) emailed me and said it was $21.99, the employee said well the tag says $29.99, and I said but so and so said $21.99. She called out for the owner who was in the back office, who then walked out and said hello. I said hi, I emailed you about 45 minutes ago and you told me that this Forsythia would be $21.99, and she said well, they are $29.99. I said check your sent mail where you told me $21.99, and she said never mind, I am not going to spend time doing that for $8, so she gave it to me for the price I was quoted.

Looking back, I know I got a very good deal. This is a very pretty shrub, for all it's root bound/ pot bound mess (and it was a mess!), but I don't believe her email was a typo. I was not trying to take advantage; she quoted me a price and I accepted it and told her I would be right over, and I expect her to stand behind it. Oh well, what's done is done...

I've included pics of how root bound it was. I have never planted a bush before, and I for sure have never seen roots growing out a tiny hole from the bottom of a pot before, they were crying for help! lol

The pics were taken before I mulched it. We only laid it on its side to take a pic of the roots coming out the bottom. We were very gentle with the shrub.

The shrub is simply beautiful. I'm in love already... On some of the pics it looks like they have a little yellow to them but they don't. The sun was blazing down on them and we used an Ipod Touch to take the pic. The bush is all green.

{{gwi:274775}}

{{gwi:274776}}

{{gwi:274777}}

{{gwi:274778}}

{{gwi:274779}}

Comments (18)