SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

My Frosty Greenhouse

jamie_mt
16 years ago

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my heating questions...and with all the other information here, I now have a plan to get this greenhouse up and functional the first weekend of March (payday). Here's what my little greenhouse (HF 6x8) looked like this morning:

{{gwi:289403}}

I replaced the three side panels that blew out last fall (with lots of extra clips) last weekend, and just need to get the top two put back in as well as the vent on the other side of the roof to have it fully "together" again. Hubby is going to put screws in the panels to insure they won't blow off again, and I'm hoping that automatic vent openers will help make the vents more "wind-proof", but until then, I may weight them down, as I shouldn't need them until late March, at the earliest (I think). I'm convinced that wind getting under the vents is what caused the mass destruction during the wind storms last fall - the vents went first, and once we clamped the visible one in the photo down, it was the other one that got blown off. Then the wind just swirls around in there and creates havoc...if I can keep the vents solidly down, the rest should be just fine (esp. with bubble wrap all around the inside).

Last weekend we went "price shopping", and I'm estimating that I can get the whole thing outfitted with insulation, benches, a heater, thermometer, and fans for around $200. Not too bad, really...all things considered. I'm itching to get things going out there, and started some seeds inside last night. No turning back now! :-)

Comments (9)