SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolflover_gw

Update to 'Propane Making my Plants Sick'

wolflover
18 years ago

I posted a month or two ago about my propane heaters making my plants sick. All the blooms and leaves on the plants fell off after using my propane heaters for only 3 & 5 days. I knew it had to be the propane heaters because the plants had been thriving up to that point with my electric heaters.

Anyway, I got a new propane heater the first of this month, and DH vented my greenhouse, even though the heaters are Pro-Com vent free radiant heaters. Guess what? The new heater does not make the plants sick. But the other night my electric heater went out in the middle of the night and the temperature alarm sounded, and I had to start up one of the old propane heaters (DH had left one of the old ones in when he installed the new heater). I only used the old heater for less than one hour to heat the greenhouse back up, but sure enough, I had some yellowing in my plants again. So I knew it had to be "that" heater causing the problem.

Today the propane man delivered my propane and I asked him about the "faulty" heater. He told me that from my description of how the flames flickered up above the grates, that meant the grates were broken at the base and that the propane wasn't being burned properly. So, that's what was causing my plants to get sick. This heater has burned that way from the very first day I bought it, so I didn't realize it was broken.

I just thought I'd let y'all know, since everyone was so helpful in trying to solve the problem of why my plants got sick using propane heat. I also wanted to say I love my new propane heater. It's working very well and my plants have not suffered at all. I still use one electric and one propane heater as extra protection, in case one or the other should go out. I know I'm a "little" paranoid, always worrying my plants will freeze. :) Anyway, thank you all again for all your help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH