SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjd2

Suggestions for replacing overgrown yews in a prominent corner?

John Dumas
17 years ago

I would love to replace three old, overgrown yews that are located on the southwest corner of my home, within a mixed foundation planting of deciduous and evergreen shrubs. Our Tudor-style home is located on a corner lot, and this corner faces the intersection. When we moved in a couple of years ago, we inherited a yard that was pretty much just yews and privet hedge. Over the past 2 years I have tried manual pruning/thinning to rejuvenate the yews, but IÂm still frustrated. IÂve finally decided that this location is really too prominent for these rather dull specimens. TheyÂve got to go.

Last year I replaced several other yews in the front yard on the south side with ÂOtto Luyken laurels, azaleas, and perennials. These are all doing wonderfully, but IÂd like to put some other varieties of evergreen shrubs on the corner. The yews IÂd like to replace are flanked by a Blue Satin Hibiscus on one side and a bridal wreath spirea on the other, both of which are doing quite well, so I donÂt want to remove them. This corner gets full sun from about 11am to dusk.

Any suggestions for more interesting evergreens would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (2)