SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodsworm

any compost tumbler veterans with advice?

woodsworm
14 years ago

I enjoy composting three ways: a pile of shredded leaves into which I randomly add things, two bins of worms in the basement who manage to have (apparently) happy lives and supply me with materials from which to make worm tea, and --

a compost tumbler. I know it's best to fill it and leave it, but with a small household that doesn't happen. I also am maintaining two of them at church, and that too does not often allow a full fill-up. So both at home and at church, I have to keep adding compostables over a period of time. Especially for the church composters, the neat, smell-free aspect of the tumbler method is appreciated, as these are in a very public place.

My issue is that it's just so SLOW. I have used old compost as starter and also occasionally as I started to fill for a new batch, some commercial starter; I think the name was Whitleys or something like that.

If you have had experience with the tumbler method, I'd appreciate some suggestion. I use Urban Compost Tumblers, not that the "brand" makes a lot of difference.

So far I have not added worms to the tumblers, thinking that at times the heat would be too much for them. But I'm wondering if some worms would speed things up at least while the weather's cold.

Any thoughts?

Comments (4)