SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfey_gw

Potting recipes for a newbie please?

Wolfey
12 years ago

I've been keeping potted plants more or less successfully for about 3 months now, and I'm at the point where I need to learn more about soil. All the advice I've gotten from the web is making my head spin, so I was hoping that someone(s) could help me lay out two reasonably simple recipes for cacti/succulents and everything-else.

I bought bags of Miracle Gro Cactus/Palm/Citrus, Perlite, and Sphagnum Peat Moss, and a bag of Scott's Premium Potting Soil -- all of which advertise added plant food. I've since realized that, based on reputation, using these on their own may be a bad idea. Should they go back to the store, or can they be used as part of a recipe? If they should go back, what should I substitute them with?

Currently I have a cactus that needs to be repotted (loose in the soil) and I have several other plants that are still in the tiny plastic pots they came in from Home Depot/Trader Joe's. They are all very rootbound - should they be repotted immediately?

In all, I have two african violets, two small orchids, three primroses, an amaryllis, ivy, a sad cyclamen, a sad rosemary, a few non-flowering green plants I can't name, and three cacti.

Please keep in mind that I'm still relatively new to the gardening scene -- small words, the specific names of things to buy, and lots of handholding descriptions are much appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations