SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conifers_gw

Greenhouse Floor Level Cold

conifers
16 years ago

I realize heat rises and in my attached 'Elite' from Farmtek it's balmy above and a person could actually feel layers of varying coldness/warmness each foot or so. Real strange to say the least.

So I ask how I can correct this.

I have plastic benches and although the first level is 4 inches off the floor, I learned that without using a hanging fan to push the heat downward, potting media and plants were frozen solid at this level while just 18 inches above, my temps were 55F - 60F. That's the layers. Real strange.

This morning I awoke with the bottom plastic floor bench being 44 and 18" above the temp is probably 60F - I don't know because I didn't check but it's a guess.

Here's the rest:

My greenhouse is 16 foot long, attached, concrete poured floor and 6 foot wide. The heater is up against the wall of the house and directly in the middle, "dead nuts." It's a propane vent-free.

Question:

Will a "blower" help or correct the floor temp? This heater has vents above that radiate the heat (3 foot off the ground),,,, but the bottom vents are not being used because they don't get used unless a blower is attached. These bottom vents are 6 inches approximately off the floor.

Is this enough information.

It's so cold on very cold nights and mornings that I have ice cycles on the inside of my walls at floor bottom or complete heavy patches of ice.

Thanks,

Dax

Comments (24)