SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
malibu_rose

Tour of the Sacramento Cemetery Historic Rose Garden

malibu_rose
17 years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit at the Sacramento Cemetery Historic Rose Garden last Saturday, April 21st and purchased some old historical roses. The cemetery was est. in 1849 and by the 1970's it was a wasteland, and much vandalized! A group of citizen got together to change all this and as luck would have it Fred Boutin (a chapter devoted to him in the book entitled In Search of Lost Roses) of the Huntington Library was collecting old roses and needed a place to grow them. So three acres of this cemetery were devoted to growing these old roses. Most of the roses you see here were planted around 1992. People adopted the various plots and contribute to the maintenance of the area they adopted. What are basically grown on the three acres are roses from 1850 to 1915. You would be surprised to know that these roses other than being watered hardly get fertilized! Almost all are on their own roots. The only requirements are to be able to see the headstones and clear the paths. There are about 440 roses. Pruning is very light.

Thanks to the countless hours of dedicated volunteers, these roses are beautifully maintained and preserved for future generations. I have tried to be as accurate as possible in the names of these old roses. Please forgive me if I am not completely accurate.

There is so much history here and I suppose that is what it is like if one explores any cemetery. The headstones sometimes tell the whole story. I have taken pictures of a couple of stories about the people buried here and I hope you will take the time to read them. It is fascinating. There are over a hundred pictures here and I hope you will enjoy the tour of the cemetery as much as I did!

http://picasaweb.google.com/maechandran/SacramentoCemetery

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations