SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie717_gw

Best time to sow butterfly weed, spring or fall?

Julie717
12 years ago

Hi everyone--I bought a bunch of annual seeds for a butterfly garden w/o noticing that the Butterfly Weed (asclepias tuberosa) was a perennial. Now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and plant it with the annuals or put it in it's own spot, also if I should plant now or wait til fall. Summers here are very hot and dry, BTW.

My experience with perennial seeds is that they come up when they feel like it. For instance I once planted coneflowers that had instructions "spring or fall", but nothing happened when I planted in spring, I thought they were duds. Then in fall, I pulled tons of these mystery weeds until I figured out those were the coneflowers. Luckily, I didn't pull them all:).

Planting seeds in my yard is a little bit of a pain because there are no beds yet until I make them. So putting them in with the annuals would be easiest. But I wonder how big the plants get in their first year and would they take up too much space from the annual plants already flowering, etc. Or will I be lucky to get any to come up at all?

I've looked up the topic here, but most of what I find talks about starting them indoors, cold stratification, etc--I can't start seeds indoors because I have no room at all. Any advice from people who've sowed them outdoors would be welcome. Thanks everyone.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!