SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecosse_gw

Potting up Lavender?

ecosse
16 years ago

In the fall of '06 I puchased 2 Hidcotes and a Provence and potted them up on my balcony. They were quiet all winter, and took off beautifully in the spring. But around August, they were looking weedy and peaked, so I (stupidly) gave them a good drink and fertilizing, and lost them. (Well, of course they were looking weedy-it was 114. And when you have them in peaty potting soil, they just stew. Ouch)

I have since learned to treat them like my potted rosemary (with which I have no problem) gravelly soil, water 'em only if they are dry, and a tiny bit of slow release fertilizer. And summer here is a dormant time, other than a shot of water, just let them all be. The balcony is south facing, so sun is great.

BUT! Since last Sept I have purchased, and repotted (in coarse pumice amended mix and not to large pots) a half-dozen assorted lavenders. With the exception of 2, they have all croaked within a month. A couple turned mushy, others had a dry rot look. The only survivors are a sad and bilious looking Goodwin Creek and an indeterninate Hidcote type thats sort of alive.

What am I doing wrong? I gather from reading posts that I may have had some type of fungus on them? If so, is it in the soil, or on the plant? They're in the same mix and watering regimen as my happy rosemary. Nothing else seems affected.

I just found some Provence (my favorite) lavender in a store. (I was about to order from High Country) They are from Bonnie Plants, which have always done well for me, as well as a geat looking little Spanish Purple from whomever.

I'm ready to pot up. Have pots just a little bigger, pumice, gravel, perlite and a great coarse mix (Kelloggs Patio Plus), Osmocote, Dr Qs repotting tonic, etc, etc lol

Help! Is there anything I'm missing? When you pot lavender up, does it like root ball undisturbed, or loosen? Water in, or just moisten mix ahead of time? Or as a friend says, "get a pot of gravel, put a tablespoon of dirt and a cup of water in in , plop the plant in and walk away, lol"

All help appreciated, thanks!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert